New Lounger
    Thanks

Access Combo box (Access 2000)

I have a database of units shipped including fields: Customer name, product ID, date Shipped and serial number shipped, among others. In order to determine warrantee when a unit is returned I built a form with a combo box that when the serial number is entered it returns the Customer name, date shipped and other pertinent information. It works fine. However, from time to time we can identify only a partial serial number. I tried entering *xxxx or *xxxx* in the combo box to try to get a return and it does not work. When using the Find function from the tool bar it does return the information. Is ther a way to get the combo box in the form to behave as the Find comand. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Combo box (Access 2000)

have you tried
    Like forms1![combo1] &"*"
    in the criteria of the query

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Combo box (Access 2000)

You can't do what you want within a combobox; that is, using *xxx, etc. And the Toolbar Find only works on the recordset behind the form, not the combobox.

You need a combination of a textbox and a combobox. The Combobox must have as it's rowsource a select query that includes a WHERE statement using the textbox as the criteria, as in:
    ......WHERE SerialNo LIKE Forms!myform.myTextbox & "*"

In the textbox's AfterUpdate event, you need a line of code to requery the combo box.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.