Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    When I was running Outlook 2003, I could right click on a contact and select "Call contact", this took me to a dialog box that allowed me to select any of their phone numbers and dial using the PC modem. I would then be able to talk to people using a headset connected to a different phone on the same phone line. I made heavy use of this feature, effectively using Outlook contacts as my phone directory.

I now have Office 2007, and the "Call contact" right click simply opens a Communicator 2007 window, which is no use to me at all as this is not integrated with my phone system.

Is there any way I can get Outlook 2007 to dial phone numbers via my modem?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved.

This was caused by the registry setting
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Com municator\TelephonyMode
    changing this from 1 to 0 caused Outlook to use the correct dialler.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I lied.

As soon as I restarted Communicator it hijacked the Outlook 2007 "Call contact..." menu again. It looks like I will have to sign out of communicator any time I want to make a phone call, unless someone here knows a way to tell Communicator to leave Outlook to make its own phone calls.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='StuartR' post='792497' date='08-Sep-2009 03:55']I lied.

As soon as I restarted Communicator it hijacked the Outlook 2007 "Call contact..." menu again. It looks like I will have to sign out of communicator any time I want to make a phone call, unless someone here knows a way to tell Communicator to leave Outlook to make its own phone calls.[/quote]

There is a telephony mode setting in Office Communicator 2007 Group Policy Settings. Maybe that'll work.

Note: you can download a Download details: Communicator 2007 Policies Documentation for details.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792520' date='08-Sep-2009 14:29']There is a telephony mode setting in Office Communicator 2007 Group Policy Settings. Maybe that'll work.[/quote]
    I was quite hopeful when I tried this, but sadly it did not help.

Depending on the setting of TelephonyMode, the "Call contact..." menu item either launches Communicator or displays an error message saying that Communicator is not able to place phone calls (or something similar). What it won't do is launch the normal outlook dialler!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='StuartR' post='792522' date='08-Sep-2009 08:43']I was quite hopeful when I tried this, but sadly it did not help.

Depending on the setting of TelephonyMode, the "Call contact..." menu item either launches Communicator or displays an error message saying that Communicator is not able to place phone calls (or something similar). What it won't do is launch the normal outlook dialler![/quote]

Have you checked Description of the Communicator 2007 update package: July 2009 or Description of the update for Communicator 2007 R2: July 2009?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792533' date='08-Sep-2009 15:44']Have you checked Description of the Communicator 2007 update package: July 2009 or Description of the update for Communicator 2007 R2: July 2009?

Joe[/quote]
    I can't see anything relevant in those descriptions. I think the problem is that we just use Communicator for it's IM capability, and they appear to assume that you are using it for integrated voice.