2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For years I have used a database that uses a combo box that that shows a list of names. You could start to type in the name and the combo box would move to that name.

Each year to start a new school year I copied the database, renamed it and put in new names. This year the combo box will not automatically move to a name when you start typing it in the box. You have to either type in the complete name or find the name in the dropdown box.

Is there a setting somewhere to make the combo box work correctly? If not what else could be causing the problem? I added another form to the database but I can't see why that would affect things.

Thanks.

Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A couple of possbilities to look at:
    1) Has your version of Access changed this year (what version are you using)?
    2) It is possible your database is corrupt - is the combo box on the form you added to the database?

If neither of those is a possibility, you can post a stripped down version of the database and let us try to debug it.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Access XP - 2002. That has not changed.

The combo box is not on the new form that I created. Everything else seems to work OK.

It is a split database so it will be a little work to get a shortened version. If no one has any other suggestions I will try to get it in a form to send to you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One of the properties of a combo box is "auto expand" - on the data page of the properties box. If that is No then the combo box does not look for matching entries.

If it is yes, it does.
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I solved the problem. It was not the combo box. For some reason when I added the new names to the table, the names all ended up with a space in front of them. The combo box did not work because it was looking for a space first and then a letter. Once I removed the space from the names things worked.

Thanks for the help.

Paul