Thread: Trial program

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way of running two different versions of the same applications on a single computer?

The operating system is 64-bit Windows 7 RTM and I will normally use Office 2007, but I also have Office 2010 pre-beta that I would like to try out in some sort of sandbox. I have Virtual PC 2007 if I want it, but I don't know that I need it, since I want to use the same operating system.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    [quote name='peterg' post='792557' date='08-Sep-2009 12:58']Is there a way of running two different versions of the same applications on a single computer?

The operating system is 64-bit Windows 7 RTM and I will normally use Office 2007, but I also have Office 2010 pre-beta that I would like to try out in some sort of sandbox. I have Virtual PC 2007 if I want it, but I don't know that I need it, since I want to use the same operating system.[/quote]

I don't know about running Office 2010 with 2007. In the past you could only have one version of Outlook at a time. With the current stage of Office 2010 I don't think I want it on the same machine with other production apps. I recommend using VirtualPC. Remember that you are supposed to have a separate OS license for the guest OS in a VM.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792570' date='08-Sep-2009 15:06']I don't know about running Office 2010 with 2007. In the past you could only have one version of Outlook at a time. With the current stage of Office 2010 I don't think I want it on the same machine with other production apps. I recommend using VirtualPC. Remember that you are supposed to have a separate OS license for the guest OS in a VM.

Joe[/quote]
    I have never used VirtualPC and don't know much about it, but the answer is not a surprise since I certainly want the programs kept apart. Any recommended links to useful information would be welcome.

Peter

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='792578' date='08-Sep-2009 14:43']I have never used VirtualPC and don't know much about it, but the answer is not a surprise since I certainly want the programs kept apart. Any recommended links to useful information would be welcome.

Peter[/quote]

You can start with Windows Virtual PC: Home Page.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Joe.... use Virtual PC. As for the license issue for the OS, you should be fine to go since you are allowed up to "5" installs of the RC-1 version of Windows 7. So, simply install Win 7 and use the "key" that came with it.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='793018' date='11-Sep-2009 13:47']I agree with Joe.... use Virtual PC. As for the license issue for the OS, you should be fine to go since you are allowed up to "5" installs of the RC-1 version of Windows 7. So, simply install Win 7 and use the "key" that came with it. [/quote]

Thanks Jeff. My version is actually RTM Ultimate, but I was considering using a no-frills version to run the beta and to be sure I don't run out of installs. I don't expect Microsoft to complain given that it's their software I'm testing.

Here's another interesting question (again related to my inexperience with Virtual PC): is it possible to have more than one Virtual PC, as it is, say, with virtual drives? That way a user could have an equal or higher OS for things like betas or trials, and a lower OS for legacy devices that don't have drivers, and legacy programs that are best run under an older operating system, with his primary OS in the middle.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='793047' date='11-Sep-2009 15:46']Thanks Jeff. My version is actually RTM Ultimate, but I was considering using a no-frills version to run the beta and to be sure I don't run out of installs. I don't expect Microsoft to complain given that it's their software I'm testing.

Here's another interesting question (again related to my inexperience with Virtual PC): is it possible to have more than one Virtual PC, as it is, say, with virtual drives? That way a user could have an equal or higher OS for things like betas or trials, and a lower OS for legacy devices that don't have drivers, and legacy programs that are best run under an older operating system, with his primary OS in the middle.[/quote]

Yes, you can setup multiple VMs.

Joe
    Joe