3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We are having problems with files which were created in Excel 2007 and saved to 2003. The problems occur when we try Save As in either 2003 or 2007.

In 2003 we get a message the "Excel found unreadable content in" the file. We choose to recover and then get another message "Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible..."

In 2007 Compatibility Checker gives us the message of Minor loss of fidelity. "Some formulas in this workbook are linked to other workbooks that are closed. When these formulas are recalculated in earlier versions of Excel without opening the linked workbooks, characters beyond the 255-character limit cannot be returned. Location: Defined Names"

In either case the resulting file looses formatting; borders, fonts disappear, text boxes, etc. All the text on all the worksheets change to the generic font.

Anyone have any ideas on what could be causing these issues? There are actually only formulas referring to other worksheets, none to other workbooks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    The error message is about range names pointing to external files. Are you sure there are no external references?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information on range names. I see that there are range names in the document. I can delete most of the range names, but still have the same issue with the workbook. I have a previous workbook (same template used), which has the same range names and this previous file works on a Save As.

In previous versions of Word we used to have issues with files being saved as new over and over. Like creating a Fax with all the names and addresses, etc. then taking the old Fax and using Save As to create the next document, then use that Fax to Save As the next, etc. Evenually we were getting corrupted documents.

I wonder if that is what is happening with the Excel file. It looks like we are using the 25th version of the document.

If the range names are the issue, how do I fix the issue? I tried deleting the range names that refer to external files, but still get the same messages when I try to save.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I expect your file has acquired corruption. See www.jkp-ads.com/articles/corruptfiles.asp for some pointers.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information.

The file is password protected and Excel 2007 won't save unless the password is removed. In previous versions of Office, saving as XML would remove the password for you.

I will continue to compair the file that works against the corrupt file. Maybe I can rebuild the file from the good one.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Open the file in 2003 and remove the password. then export to html, then close and re-open the html file from Excel and save-as excel file.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    www.jkp-ads.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I open the file in 2003 I loose the formatting. I get the formatting only in 2007. I do not know the password. The original form came from a client.

I think we will just redo the file using the older file that seems to be working. Thanks for all the information.