Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ive office 2007 installed on a few pc's

I searched for normal.dot and none were found on any of the pc's

does normal.dot exist in Word 2007?

i was wondering where autotext entries are stored now? as Building blocks?

diana

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Word 2007 uses a Normal.dotx or a Normal.dotm.

Autotext entries are now incorporated into the Quick Parts and may be stored in the Building Blocks.dotx template or another template such as Normal.dotx. You can read more about it on Greg Maxey's website
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    By default, user-created Building Blocks / Quick Parts (formerly called AutoText) are stored in a template called BuildingBlocks.dotx. The customizable version of the BuildingBlocks.dotx template is ordinarily located in C:\Documents and Settings \<User Name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033 (assuming American English language) in Windows XP; it is located in C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033 (assuming American English) in Vista.

There's also a non-customizable (generic) copy of the BuildingBlocks.dotx template that is located in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Document Parts\1033 (again, assuming you use an American English-language version of Word) -- same path in both Windows XP and Vista.

It's a good idea to back up the user-customizable template from time to time, since (in my experience) it has a tendency to become corrupted.

You can choose to save Building Blocks / Quick Parts entries to other templates besides the BuildingBlocks.dotx template. However, it is my understanding that if you want to make those entries available globally (i.e., for use in all documents), you need to move those templates into the Document Building Blocks\1033 folder.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Forgot to mention that you can import your AutoText entries from earlier versions of Word. Just copy your old normal.dot template -- which might have gotten renamed to something like "Normal11.dot" when you installed Word 2007 -- and paste that copy into the folder containing the user-specific BuildingBlocks.dotx template. You might want to rename the copied normal template (perhaps calling it something like "AutoText.dot") before moving it into the Documents Building Blocks\1033 folder (again, 1033 is for American English; if your version of Word uses a different language, the numbers identifying the folder will be different).

Your AutoText entries should appear in the Building Blocks Organizer the next time you launch Word. You can, of course, use your old AutoText entries without going into the Organizer (simply by typing the abbreviation and then pressing F3).

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com