Thread: Captions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there any way to add captions without having Word add a Figure number to it? I would like the captions to simply have the text and omit an entry such as "Figure 1", or add a number after a custom entry.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Chuck Tucker' post='792842' date='10-Sep-2009 17:51']Is there any way to add captions without having Word add a Figure number to it? I would like the captions to simply have the text and omit an entry such as "Figure 1", or add a number after a custom entry.[/quote]
    You can format a paragraph with the Caption style, but you can't then insert a cross reference to this unless you also add a bookmark. You haven't made clear what you want to do with these "captions".

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    My thought was to add captions to pictures (without the Figure numbers) so Word could generate a table of figures.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Chuck Tucker' post='793127' date='12-Sep-2009 22:43']My thought was to add captions to pictures (without the Figure numbers) so Word could generate a table of figures.[/quote]
    If you want Word to be able to create a table of figures then you will need to accept the standard caption format, including numbers.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I was afraid of that. Thanks anyway.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='793129' date='12-Sep-2009 17:50']If you want Word to be able to create a table of figures then you will need to accept the standard caption format, including numbers.[/quote]
    Actually you can make a list of figures based on almost any style. In W2003 and before the caption text cannot in a text box because the TOC cannot see inside text boxes. But that is not a problem in W2007. Let's say you call your caption style "figure title". In the table of figures dialog, choose Options. Put a check in the box before Style to tell Word to build the table of figures from styles. Then choose "figure title from the drop down list. OK out to generate your TOC.

If you have more than one style you wish to collect in a TOF, you'll have to use the regular TOC dialog but in the options dialog styles list you will have to put a number (say, 1) after the styles you want to collect and remove any numbers from the styles you don't. After the TOC is generated you may want to add the \c switch to the field codes so Word will use the table of figures style for the caption entries of your TOF.

Pam
    Pam Caswell