Thread: hard drive

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i have a new hard drive ibstalled but my computer wont regonise it. but it shows up on bios, device management what can i do

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='onno' post='792853' date='10-Sep-2009 18:11']i have a new hard drive ibstalled but my computer wont regonise it. but it shows up on bios, device management what can i do[/quote]
    Look in Disk Management to see if it has been recognised. You may need to create and format a partition.

To run Disk Management you can right click My Computer, select Manage, and then choose Disk Management from the left hand pane. Or type Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc

Thanks
    I only have used a few PC BIOS versions over the years, including Phoenix and AMI, the PC BIOS chip stores the records for numerous harddrives, in other words,harddrive parameter. If the chip does not have the specific HD parameter, sometimes a user can specify the parameters -- however, there can be a downside, HD may or may not be within norm, and/or HD may not be used at full capacity. And, on rare occasions, two HDs will not get along, one has to go.
    Roland
    ps: I had to purchase an ATA SATA card for my two SATA HDs because my BIOS was not going to work the drives.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Look in Disk Management to see if it has been recognised. You may need to create and format a partition.
    To run Disk Management you can right click My Computer, select Manage, and then choose Disk Management from the left hand pane. Or type Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc
    Even if you have a recognised partition in Disk Management, you may need to allocate a drive letter.
    If you see the disc listed, click on it and then choose the appropriate item from the dropdown (Action I think) menu.

Alan Vallis
    http://mywitsend.co.nz

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure it's installed properly?
    How about talking us through what you've done so far and how you've done it...DETAILS!
    Mike

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onno View Post
    i have a new hard drive ibstalled but my computer wont regonise it. but it shows up on bios, device management what can i do
    If it is out-of-the-box new, it has not been partitioned or formatted. Use Administrative tools > Disk Management to partition and format the drive, and then it will be available to Windows. I would suggest that you do not use the "Quick format" option.

If it is an IDE drive, it's more than likely jumpered as Cable Select which is fine. SATA drives don't have jumpers.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    yup, that would be the very first thing I'd do; Go into disk management and see if it is there.
    **If it is in disk management just right click on it and choose format. And yes, do the long format, not the quick.
    **If it's not then go back and check all hardwires to & from the drive, including power cables.
    ** If it's still not there, recheck your bios settings; legacy vs ...sorry I forgot !#^$^&

If all else fails, it's not too terribly uncomon to get a bad drive. RMA is your very last choice.

If it shows up in device manager you'd think it would also show in disk manager too.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.