2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I get Word to automatically update a filename in a footer?

I have form I use regularly and save and so far I haven't figured out how to get the filename in the footer to change when I change the actual filename.

I don't have this problem in Excel nor WordPerfect so was surprised to encounter it in Word.

I prefer this to be done without any extra steps to the user (other than the renaming of the file).

Thanks!

Thanks
    [quote name='PontiacPeggy' post='792883' date='10-Sep-2009 12:55']How do I get Word to automatically update a filename in a footer?[/quote]
    In the footer, the {FILENAME} field should update when the user chooses either Print or Print Preview. If that doesn't work, the field may be locked.

To have the field updated after a Save As, in theory you could "hijack" the the Save As process and tack on a field update. This might be more trouble than it's worth...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do a Print Preview and the file name should be updated also.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. I'll check that out tomorrow when I'm at work. I thought that when I changed the filename the footer would automatically update. Seems strange to me that it doesn't.

I do know that it doesn't change when I do a Save As with a new filename, close the file and then re-open it.

Am I missing something?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Peggy!

By now you've seen my post on WPUniverse about inserting your cursor into the code and pressing F9. The code should update, too, when you print the doc, though that depends on your configuration options.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='792926' date='10-Sep-2009 21:04']Hi, Peggy!

By now you've seen my post on WPUniverse about inserting your cursor into the code and pressing F9. The code should update, too, when you print the doc, though that depends on your configuration options.

Jan[/quote]

My filename DOES update when I do Print Preview. Is that the ONLY way to get the name to update aside from pressing F9?

I guess I don't understand why the filename is not updated when I save the file, close it and re-open it.

But thank you everyone for all your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PontiacPeggy' post='792963' date='11-Sep-2009 13:56']I guess I don't understand why the filename is not updated when I save the file, close it and re-open it.[/quote]
    You have entered the filename into the document footer as a field. Word only updates fields when you specifically ask it to, or when you print the document (there are some exceptions to this, see MSKB article 211629).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='792974' date='11-Sep-2009 09:42']You have entered the filename into the document footer as a field. Word only updates fields when you specifically ask it to, or when you print the document (there are some exceptions to this, see MSKB article 211629).[/quote]

Thanks. At least I know what to do now. Appreciate it!