3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a left-hand border on part of one page in a report, and it will not dissapear when i choose various border options under Home>Paragraph. Basically, I've no idea how to remove it, and I cannot select it in any way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Things you should check for include
    • Paragraph border
    • Page border
    • Table border
    • A line that is simply a shape drawn on the page
    Have you checked for all of these?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hhmmm, are these options in the borders and shading dialog box? didn't see them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='792905' date='10-Sep-2009 23:09']hhmmm, are these options in the borders and shading dialog box? didn't see them.[/quote]

Page Borders are a separate tab in the Borders and Shading dialog box.
    Paragraph borders and table borders are selected with the "Apply to" box in the Borders tab of this dialog box, but you will only see Table if the selection is within a table.

Try turning on display of markup using the button on the Paragraph group of the home tab
    Turn on table gridlines by selecting View Gridlines from the borders menu in the pragraph group of the home tab.

Do you see any tables or other unexpected things in your document.

[attachment=85490:borders.png]

[attachment=85491:gridlines.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Left hand SIDE or left hand BOTTOM? If bottom, sometimes this is a footnote line, from, maybe, extra empty paragraphs in the previous footnote.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    One more thought, could it be an indicator for a tracked change? This would be a thin line to the left of material that has been added. You could try going to the Reviewing tab and accepting all changes.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks...accepting all changes did the trick. does that mean it wasn't actually a line proper, but was an indicator line for a tracked change?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='792990' date='11-Sep-2009 16:09']does that mean it wasn't actually a line proper, but was an indicator line for a tracked change?[/quote]
    Yes, it does.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    many thanks, as always

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a little late to the party here, but another way to remove the lines in the margin is to modify the Track Changes options.

In Word 2007, navigate to the Review tab, click the Track Changes drop-down, Change Tracking Options, and locate the "Changed lines" drop-down toward the top of the dialog box. Select "none" and OK out. (The other options are left margins, right margins, and Outside; the last choice means the gray marks will alternate between the left and right margins depending on whether the page is odd or even.)

In earlier versions of Word -- which I don't have in front of me at the moment -- I believe the Track Changes options are located under the Tools menu, Options, Track Changes tab. I can't remember if the terminology ("Changed lines") was the same in prior versions, but in any case there should be a way to turn the markers off.

If you turn the markers off, you don't need to accept (or reject) all the changes in order to make the markers disappear.

Just another alternative.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com