Thanks
    Here is an ugly little hairball.
    Imagine you are drawing a flowchart in PowerPoint. You then paste the completed flowchart into Word.
    The default format for this paste is as a Microsoft Office Graphic Object.
    The flowchart is not editable (and in the example that started me off with this quest - not printable either).
    If you paste a single shape - you can edit it in Word. However, if you select or group multiple shapes. The Microsoft Office Graphic Object is the default.
    And worst of all - it looks terrible.
    Weirdly, pasting between PPT and Excel seems to maintain the shapes as shapes. Just Word is left out in the cold.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='792937' date='10-Sep-2009 22:43']Here is an ugly little hairball.
    Imagine you are drawing a flowchart in PowerPoint. You then paste the completed flowchart into Word.
    The flowchart is not editable (and in the example that started me off with this quest - not printable either).
    If you paste a single shape - you can edit it in Word. However, if you select or group multiple shapes. The Microsoft Office Graphic Object is the default.
    Weirdly, pasting between PPT and Excel seems to maintain the shapes as shapes. Just Word is left out in the cold.

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/quote]

Have you tried a Paste Special?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792966' date='11-Sep-2009 07:17']Have you tried a Paste Special?

Joe[/quote]
    Yes, I have. The options for Paste Special are Windows Metafile, Enhanced Metafile, Bitmap, gif, png and jpg.
    All of which mean you lose editabilty. The Enhanced Metafile seems to give the best quality.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='792991' date='11-Sep-2009 10:14']Yes, I have. The options for Paste Special are Windows Metafile, Enhanced Metafile, Bitmap, gif, png and jpg.
    All of which mean you lose editabilty. The Enhanced Metafile seems to give the best quality.[/quote]

When I copied a slide, I had the option with Paste Special to past as a Powerpoint slide.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not sure what you mean by drawing a flowchart in PowerPoint. I pasted this one as a Microsoft Office graphic object and it seems fine.

[attachment=85498:Flowchart.docx]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='793003' date='11-Sep-2009 10:22']When I copied a slide, I had the option with Paste Special to past as a Powerpoint slide.

Joe[/quote]
    I'm selecting the grapics on the slide - not the slide itself 'tho I guess its' an option.
    WebGenii Home Page

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='793005' date='11-Sep-2009 10:29']I'm not sure what you mean by drawing a flowchart in PowerPoint. I pasted this one as a Microsoft Office graphic object and it seems fine.

[attachment=85498:Flowchart.docx][/quote]
    I was using various drawing shapes in PPT to illustrate a process. What is interesting is that your SmartArt shape comes into Word and the appropriate ribbons are available. Try it with a more complex drawing made with a group of shapes.
    WebGenii Home Page

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='793019' date='11-Sep-2009 18:48']... Try it with a more complex drawing made with a group of shapes.[/quote]
    Ah yes, I see what you mean, not very clever is it!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='792937' date='11-Sep-2009 13:43']Here is an ugly little hairball.

Any thoughts or suggestions?[/quote]
    You might have some luck saving your whole PP graphic as a metafile, then embedding it into Word. I've used this to get around some of the Office graphic "quirks", with some success. You can find a little app here: Legacy Drawing Application that enables you to copy/paste your graphic into, then save as WMF. Let's know if it works!

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='793061' date='11-Sep-2009 19:53']You might have some luck saving your whole PP graphic as a metafile, then embedding it into Word. I've used this to get around some of the Office graphic "quirks", with some success. You can find a little app here: Legacy Drawing Application that enables you to copy/paste your graphic into, then save as WMF. Let's know if it works!

Alan[/quote]
    Thanks Alan!
    WebGenii Home Page