3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.curvedmouldings.com/projectindex.html

I created this page index in Excel and then cleaned it up using Kompozer. I don't completely understand all the code near the top that was created by Excel, but by trial and error have eliminated a lot of what seemed extraneous. The index looks good now in IE and Firefox so I think what I did must have been OK for the most part.

The only thing left to do is get rid of the UNDERLINE on all the index section headings. Since these are surrounded by a box I really don't need the underline as well. However, there is no "underline" or "<u>.....</u>" in the code by each of these headings.

Can someone point me to the part of the code that is creating the underline for the headings?

Thanks,
    BH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='bhdavis' post='792961' date='11-Sep-2009 06:27']http://www.curvedmouldings.com/projectindex.html

I created this page index in Excel and then cleaned it up using Kompozer. I don't completely understand all the code near the top that was created by Excel, but by trial and error have eliminated a lot of what seemed extraneous. The index looks good now in IE and Firefox so I think what I did must have been OK for the most part.

The only thing left to do is get rid of the UNDERLINE on all the index section headings. Since these are surrounded by a box I really don't need the underline as well. However, there is no "underline" or "<u>.....</u>" in the code by each of these headings.

Can someone point me to the part of the code that is creating the underline for the headings?

Thanks,
    BH[/quote]

Look for the "style" statements - style="text-decoration: underline;"

Note: there is more than one style statement.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Yes, I saw those statements. But how could those statement, which are at the top of the page before any of my displayed information, just single out the boxed headings and not underline all the text on the page?

Thanks,
    BH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Joe. I used your suggestion and found the item that was putting in the underlines. It was "text-decoration:underline;
    text-underline-style:single;" in .x125 below. Once I found that I deleted those two lines as well as all the other .x12# groupings.

I've never seen anything like those before. This is the first webpage I've created from an Excel spreadsheet so it must have something to do with the way MS-Office generates html. Apparently the .x125 is the grouping that somehow relates to my headings. If I eliminate it completely I lose the line boxes around the headings as well. So, I eliminated all the others and left .x125 (after deleting the "underline" lines). Now the page looks the way I want.

Can someone give me a brief explanation of what these .x12# groupings are doing and how it works? It's clear they are formatting font related issues....but how do they reach into the worksheet and just grab certain lines? Perhaps through the table structure somehow?

Thanks,
    BH

.xl24
    {mso-style-parent:style0;
    text-decoration:underline;
    text-underline-style:single;
    font-family:Arial, sans-serif;
    mso-font-charset:0;
    text-align:center;}
    .xl25
    text-align:center;
    border-top:.5pt solid windowtext;
    border-right:none;
    border-bottom:.5pt solid windowtext;
    border-left:.5pt solid windowtext;}
    .xl26
    border-left:none;}
    .xl27
    border-right:.5pt solid windowtext;
    .xl28
    border-left:.5pt solid windowtext;}
    .xl29
    .xl30
    border-right:.5pt solid windowtext;
    border-left:none;

Thanks
    [quote name='bhdavis' post='792985' date='11-Sep-2009 15:43']...it must have something to do with the way MS-Office generates html.[/quote]
    Correct, and the answer is "Badly"...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='bhdavis' post='792985' date='11-Sep-2009 07:43']Can someone give me a brief explanation of what these .x12# groupings are doing and how it works?[/quote]
    These are CSS (cascading style sheets) rules. Rules can attach to a particular tag (e.g., p for paragraph) or a particular element (e.g., #maincontent for the element with id="maincontent") or -- as in this case -- they can be free-floating rules referenced through the use of a class name. When the selector for the rule starts with a period, that indicates it is a class name. Class names can be re-used throughout the document, and are references in a tag with an attribute such as class="xl25". The benefit is that you can make an edit in one place (the style block) rather than in dozens of places.

I realize that if you haven't used CSS before, the above is rather convoluted. There is a lot of reference material available on the web if you would like to dig into it further.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Loungefan,

THANK YOU !!!

Very clear and understandable explanation. I looked at my code and sure enough there is a class="xl25" on each of my section header lines.

Actually, this is pretty slick now that I understand it. The only web work I do is taking care of my own business site so I'm not familiar with a lot of the real detail of coding. Just enough to try to make the site do a good job.

Thanks again,
    BH