Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, hope this is how I lodge a plea for help in Word.

I work from home and am reproducing a document - was provided with a 'template' and a hard copy of the document. There's only Heading 1 and Heading 2. I ocr-ed a lot of the text but only have a basic version so had to format the text. It was well into the document before I updated the table of contents and realised Heading 2 had been stopped from appearing in the TOC. I know how to fix that (or thought I did) - got Heading 2 to appear in the TOC but in the main text, Heading 2 is numbered as 1.1, 1,2 through to 1.500 or so, instead of 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1 etc. I'm reasonably up with Word but other than forcing each section to start at 2.1, 3.1 etc (which I shouldn't have to) I've no idea what to do. Unfortunately because of confidentiality I can't provide a copy of the document.

The second issue, is while the template page numbers seemed fine, about halfway through the new document, page 1 decided it was page 2 and the last page now reads eg page 106 of 105. I've looked for things like an extra page in the Outline but I doubt even if there was, it wouldn't explain the 106 of 105. Again this is a bit beyond me, and I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks...Kathy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Katie' post='793138' date='12-Sep-2009 20:01']Hi, hope this is how I lodge a plea for help in Word.

I work from home and am reproducing a document - was provided with a 'template' and a hard copy of the document. There's only Heading 1 and Heading 2. I ocr-ed a lot of the text but only have a basic version so had to format the text. It was well into the document before I updated the table of contents and realised Heading 2 had been stopped from appearing in the TOC. I know how to fix that (or thought I did) - got Heading 2 to appear in the TOC but in the main text, Heading 2 is numbered as 1.1, 1,2 through to 1.500 or so, instead of 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1 etc. I'm reasonably up with Word but other than forcing each section to start at 2.1, 3.1 etc (which I shouldn't have to) I've no idea what to do. Unfortunately because of confidentiality I can't provide a copy of the document.

The second issue, is while the template page numbers seemed fine, about halfway through the new document, page 1 decided it was page 2 and the last page now reads eg page 106 of 105. I've looked for things like an extra page in the Outline but I doubt even if there was, it wouldn't explain the 106 of 105. Again this is a bit beyond me, and I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks...Kathy[/quote]
    It sounds as if we may be able to help you with your problems, but the steps you must take depends on which version of Word you are using. We also need a little more information about your document. For example is page 1 the first page of your document? Does the template have odd and even headers? Are there any sections?

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Katie' post='793138' date='13-Sep-2009 01:01']Heading 2 is numbered as 1.1, 1,2 through to 1.500 or so, instead of 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1 etc.[/quote]
    the normal behaviour of numbered headings would be like this:

1. Heading 1
    1.1 Heading 2
    1.2 Heading 2
    2. Heading 1
    2.1 Heading 2
    3. Heading 1
    3.1 Heading 2
    3.2 Heading 2
    3.3 Heading 2
    4. Heading 1
    4.1 Heading 2
    4.2 Heading 2
    Could you please create a list like this showing how you expect your headings to be numbered

Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart, that's exactly how I'd expect them to be numbered and it's how I've set them up in the document. I didn't realise till halfway through when I inserted the TOC that heading 1 in the template I'd been given had been disabled. I made the fatal error of changing the subheadings to a format based on Heading 1 so it would appear in the TOC (not realising at the time how simple it was to toggle the TOC and add Heading 2). All the headings appear in the TOC but the second heading isn't indenting because I based it on Heading 1.

The problem is when I change the 'criteria' for the TOC and change all the subheadings back to heading 2, they go:

1. Main heading

1.1 sub heading
    through to say 1.16 sub heading

2. Main heading

1.17 sub heading
    through to say 1.30 sub heading

3. main heading.
    1.31 sub heading through to

34. Main Heading

The really frustrating thing is when I enable heading 2 in the original template it works fine, I've no idea why it won't work in the new document. Have to email it to the client tomorrow.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Katie' post='793157' date='13-Sep-2009 05:42']Stuart, that's exactly how I'd expect them to be numbered and it's how I've set them up in the document. I didn't realise till halfway through when I inserted the TOC that heading 1 in the template I'd been given had been disabled. I made the fatal error of changing the subheadings to a format based on Heading 1 so it would appear in the TOC (not realising at the time how simple it was to toggle the TOC and add Heading 2). All the headings appear in the TOC but the second heading isn't indenting because I based it on Heading 1.

The problem is when I change the 'criteria' for the TOC and change all the subheadings back to heading 2, they go:

1. Main heading

1.1 sub heading
    through to say 1.16 sub heading

2. Main heading

1.17 sub heading
    through to say 1.30 sub heading

3. main heading.
    1.31 sub heading through to

34. Main Heading

The really frustrating thing is when I enable heading 2 in the original template it works fine, I've no idea why it won't work in the new document. Have to email it to the client tomorrow.[/quote]
    It would be easier to tell what's going on if you could attach an example document (with any confidential content removed). In absence of that, a few notes:

If you want two levels of heading to appear in the TOC, it's best to use the built-in Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles. You can make custom styles appear in your TOC to be sure, but it's more trouble to set up.

It looks like the numbering is not working the way you want it, because you don't have the two heading styles linked together as part of the same numbering outline. Again, you can associate custom-made styles with a numbering outline, but it's much more straightforward to use the built-in Heading styles. Also, when associating styles with a numbering outline, it essential to avoid using any style that is based on another style that's already associated with the outline.

What do you mean when you say Heading 1 is disabled? Are you unable to modify the style if you try to?

Gary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    My guess, based on the information you have given us, is that the text marked
    1. Main heading
    in your document is not actually using Heading 1.

If you have Heading 2 set up normally, then its numbering will reset every time you include a Heading 1 in your document, but you are using a different style to Heading 1, so the Heading 2 numbering never gets reset.

If I am correct then the simplest solution will be to reformat all of your Main Headings using the correct Heading 1 style.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Katie' post='793157' date='13-Sep-2009 05:42']Stuart, that's exactly how I'd expect them to be numbered and it's how I've set them up in the document. I didn't realise till halfway through when I inserted the TOC that heading 1 in the template I'd been given had been disabled. I made the fatal error of changing the subheadings to a format based on Heading 1 so it would appear in the TOC (not realising at the time how simple it was to toggle the TOC and add Heading 2). All the headings appear in the TOC but the second heading isn't indenting because I based it on Heading 1.

The really frustrating thing is when I enable heading 2 in the original template it works fine, I've no idea why it won't work in the new document. Have to email it to the client tomorrow.[/quote]

For your TOC: Heading 2 can be based on Heading 1 (so it takes formatting from it), but you should change its _paragraph_ outline level to "level 2" (find it in the paragraph dialog). Then in the field codes for the TOC insert \o "1-2" and delete any style names and TOC levels (such as "Heading 1,1"). Just to clear up any residual settings and manual formatting, in the styles pane (keep track of formatting in Word options should be turned on), select all instances of heading 1 and reapply the style. Do the same for heading 2. I don't think these steps will resolve heading 2 numbering issue, but, hey, they might.

For your Heading 2 numbering: If these steps only fix the TOC, then check the restart-after setting for numbering outline level 2 (in the customize outline/define new multilevel list dialog). It should be set to level 1.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='793158' date='13-Sep-2009 10:01']It would be easier to tell what's going on if you could attach an example document (with any confidential content removed). In absence of that, a few notes:

If you want two levels of heading to appear in the TOC, it's best to use the built-in Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles. You can make custom styles appear in your TOC to be sure, but it's more trouble to set up.

It looks like the numbering is not working the way you want it, because you don't have the two heading styles linked together as part of the same numbering outline. Again, you can associate custom-made styles with a numbering outline, but it's much more straightforward to use the built-in Heading styles. Also, when associating styles with a numbering outline, it essential to avoid using any style that is based on another style that's already associated with the outline.

What do you mean when you say Heading 1 is disabled? Are you unable to modify the style if you try to?

Gary[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary, Pam

I'm usually up there with Headings, know to use Heading 1, 2, 3 etc; not to play with what already works, never use them in body text etc. My mistake was using a template the client sent (it had several forms and header/footers set up etc) but unfortunately they didn't follow the default headings for some reason, even use heading levels in the text. But yes, I think their Heading 1 isn't a true Heading 1 and is causing the problem but whatever they've done, I can't find the original Heading 1 in the styles. They've called their heading 1 "no numbers" which should have been a red flag because it IS numbered but the big thing I don't understand is their 'system' does appear to work in the original template but won't play nice in the document I've created from that same template. Not sure if it's because I ocred 80 pages or so of text, dropped it in and formatted it last thing but I SO wished I'd started a new document and dropped the forms in. No time for that now.

I MEANT to say Heading 2 was disabled, just my strange way of saying "stopped from appearing in the TOC". I couldn't work out why at first but then remembered about toggling the TOC and fixing it there. But then the 1.1 to 1.200 or so issue started) As time is of the essence I was going to try Pam's suggestion but can't quickly seem to find what you mean, Pam - obviously not as good at Word as I thought :-). Will have to leave it as is - I've got the second level appearing lower case just not indented (first level capitals) - not much more I can do when they want it NOW.

As for the document starting at page 2 and ending page 106 of 105, I can't work that out either. Too late for this document, but I'd appreciate any advice on that too at your leisure. I've looked for things like an extra page break but even if there was one it wouldn't explain the last page being 106 of 105.

Thanks for the help, think I need an advanced course :-). Or maybe just never accept a job using someone else's template again :-). For future reference, how would I remove all 'created' styles and revert to the default styles and basically start over.

Kathy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie' post='793222 View Post
    how would I remove all 'created' styles and revert to the default styles and basically start over.
    You can restore the behaviour of most styles by
    Word 2003: Tools > Templates and Add-Ins >
    Word 2007 > Developer Tab > Templates ? Document Template >
    select a template that has styles you are happy with and select the check box "Automatically update document styles.
    Styles defined in the template will replace styles with the same name in the document. If the document has additional styles that have different names then these won't be affected.