3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know it's early but I've started to try and create a mail merge sheet of labels for my Christmas card list. Now, in the past with Word 2000, I could insert a pic or clip art in the label (say a pic of candle or holly leaf etc) and move it to any position by selection in front of text, moving to a position where it doesn't interfere with the text (address) then selecting behind text and print off from there.

I cant figure out how to get this with Word 2007, I insert picture, drag the handles to correct size it, but wherever I try and drag the pic in the label it just seems to want to go to set positions. I've explored every setting I can find but just cant figure it. How do I make Word position the picture where I want it - not where it thinks it should go? The attatch shows the effect on one of the old labels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    With the picture selected you can go to the Picture Tools, Format tab, Text Wrapping, Tight.

[attachment=85534:In_front_of_text.png]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='793385' date='15-Sep-2009 15:36']With the picture selected you can go to the Picture Tools, Format tab, Text Wrapping, Tight.

[attachment=85534:In_front_of_text.png][/quote]

Yes, I tried that but the picture wont move, e.g. if I drag it to the bottom right corner it jumps to halfway up. I've tried the align option which moves the pic to top,bottom,left,right etc but I want to "fine tune" the position.

Thanks
    I have neither Word 2007 nor Stuart's experience, but I would have thought having it float 'In Front of Text' would give you more flexibility.

Otherwise, can you set the drawing grid to something finer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='793398' date='15-Sep-2009 16:59']Yes, I tried that but the picture wont move, e.g. if I drag it to the bottom right corner it jumps to halfway up. I've tried the align option which moves the pic to top,bottom,left,right etc but I want to "fine tune" the position.[/quote]

Have a look at the Page Layout Tab, Arrange Group, Grid Settings...
    see if the checkbox marked "Snap objects to grid when the gridlines are not displayed" is set
    [attachment=85536:Grid_Settings.png] [attachment=85537:snap.png]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='793401' date='15-Sep-2009 17:14']Have a look at the Page Layout Tab, Arrange Group, Grid Settings...
    see if the checkbox marked "Snap objects to grid when the gridlines are not displayed" is set
    [attachment=85536:Grid_Settings.png] [attachment=85537:snap.png][/quote]

I have now spent many hours yesterday and this morning trying everything. it could maybe be a setting to do with snapping to margin or grid lines...I cant find it....in fact I've given up and gone back to using Word 2000. With blurred eyes and a headache \thanks any way for trying to help

Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='793518' date='16-Sep-2009 13:04']I have now spent many hours yesterday and this morning trying everything. it could maybe be a setting to do with snapping to margin or grid lines...I cant find it....in fact I've given up and gone back to using Word 2000. With blurred eyes and a headache \thanks any way for trying to help[/quote]
    Do you want to post a copy of the document here (perhaps you might like to put in a dummy name and address instead of the real one) and let us see what we can do with it?

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='793518' date='16-Sep-2009 13:04']I have now spent many hours yesterday and this morning trying everything. it could maybe be a setting to do with snapping to margin or grid lines...I cant find it....in fact I've given up and gone back to using Word 2000. With blurred eyes and a headache \thanks any way for trying to help[/quote]

It MUST be something to do with your configuration, because my Word 2007 can happily drag a picture around a document in very small movements.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jaystarter1' post='793367' date='15-Sep-2009 22:53']I cant figure out how to get this with Word 2007, I insert picture, drag the handles to correct size it, but wherever I try and drag the pic in the label it just seems to want to go to set positions. I've explored every setting I can find but just cant figure it. How do I make Word position the picture where I want it - not where it thinks it should go? The attatch shows the effect on one of the old labels.[/quote]
    In most software you can temporarily turn off the snap to grid positioning by holding down either the Ctrl or Alt keys as you drag the object. In the case of Word 2007 you hold down the Alt key as you drag.

The permanent setting you want to change is described here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA1...2611033.aspx#WO and begins with...
    # Click the shape or object in the document.
    # Under Drawing Tools on the Format tab, in the Arrange group, click Align, and then click Grid Settings.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='793638' date='17-Sep-2009 00:46']Under Drawing Tools on the Format tab, in the Arrange group, click Align, and then click Grid Settings.[/quote]
    I think this is the dialog box that I have posted above (in Post 793401).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes Stuart, you are of course correct - it is the very same dialog but now we have another way to open it.

If only finding the tabs dialog in Word 2007 was so easy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='793715' date='17-Sep-2009 13:49']If only finding the tabs dialog in Word 2007 was so easy. [/quote]
    The easiest way I have found to get to the tabs dialog is to click the View Ruler icon, and then double click on the ruler.

[attachment=85563:View_ruler.png]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='793737' date='18-Sep-2009 01:40']The easiest way I have found to get to the tabs dialog is to click the View Ruler icon, and then double click on the ruler.[/quote]
    That doesn't work for me in Word 2007 because I use a trackball with a button configured as a double click. It always opens the Page Setup dialog so I have always just grumbled about it and figured MS changed that simple behaviour in this version of Word.

BUT, I just went and checked and discovered if I manually doubleclick the ruler I do indeed get the tabs dialog but if I use the button set to doubleclick (which I always do) I get the Page Setup dialog. Perhaps the speed of a doubleclick matters. This button assignment used to work as expected in earlier versions of Word so I don't know why it is different now.

Thanks for the prompt - I would have never resolved this without your nudge. Now I only have to the change the habit of ten years with this trackball to get into the tabs dialog - easier said than done.