Thanks
    I am running XPPro SP3 - Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Yesterday, after several days away from home, I tried booting my machine and the boot stopped when it arrived at the XP splash screen. The screen was 'grayed out' or dimmer than usual.

I rebooted using the soft restart button and elected to go to safe-mode. There I ran Avast but found no viruses.

I rebooted again and the machine worked as usual.

1) Is this unusual behavior?

2) Can anyone explain what happened?

Could the problem have happened because of disk fragmentation?

I have been reticent to defragment my C drive because it is a RAID1 array and I've not done the research to tell me that this is not a complicated process for the operating system even though two physical disks are being used. Has anyone had experience defragging a RAID1 array?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a number of possibilities, most likely is a transient hardware error. This could have been an error reading from the disk, or a dropped bit in memory (these really truly can be caused by cosmic rays).

Thanks
    [quote name='baumgrenze' post='793447' date='15-Sep-2009 18:31'][/quote]
    If this is the first time this has ever happened, I wouldn't worry too much.
    As Stuart said, it could have been many things that could have caused it. Fragmentation being way down on the low end of the list.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='baumgrenze' post='793447' date='15-Sep-2009 23:31'][/quote]
    Very occasionally there is something useful in the System Event Log (one way in is via Start -> Run and type eventvwr.exe and press Enter, then click on System)
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln