Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enterprise RTM?

Thanks
    I downloaded the Enterprise RTM 32 and 64 bit.

Assuming I'm going to buy Windows 7 when it's released (or shortly thereafter -- cash flow, you know -- would I gain anything from installing the RTM?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='793476' date='15-Sep-2009 22:28']I downloaded the Enterprise RTM 32 and 64 bit.

Assuming I'm going to buy Windows 7 when it's released (or shortly thereafter -- cash flow, you know -- would I gain anything from installing the RTM?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]
    Here are some details regarding the Enterprise version. But isn't Enterprise available only to Software Assurance or Volume-License enterprise business customers?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='793479' date='15-Sep-2009 19:47']Here are some details regarding the Enterprise version. But isn't Enterprise available only to Software Assurance or Volume-License enterprise business customers?[/quote]

John, it is on a "final" basis, but the PIK is built in on the trial, or so it says.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='793488' date='16-Sep-2009 07:19']it is on a "final" basis, but the PIK is built in on the trial, or so it says.[/quote]
    This must be one of the more incomprehensible sentences I've read!

What do "it", "PIK" and 'built in on the trial' refer to, or mean?

The RTM version (Release To Manufacturing) version is the same version which you buy when it is released to retailers.
    As John says, until 22 October, this has very limited availability...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='793496' date='16-Sep-2009 00:47']This must be one of the more incomprehensible sentences I've read!

What do "it", "PIK" and 'built in on the trial' refer to, or mean?

The RTM version (Release To Manufacturing) version is the same version which you buy when it is released to retailers.
    As John says, until 22 October, this has very limited availability...[/quote]

Batcher, it said at the download site that there was no PIK...that it was "built in". Dunno. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

As far as the quantity, I have it. I got it on 90 day trial download -- unlike the 64-bit I was looking for in b-7100, I got both the 64 and 32-bit trials.

I suppose what I'm wondering is if the RTM version has sufficient changes / improvements for me to switch to the Enterprise RTM, or just stay with the Ultimate b7100.

Regards,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Chuck,

Do you know what the acronym or word "PIK" means? You have not made this clear in your post.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Amen to that, Stuart! Lately I'm getting a headache from all the acronyms, ever increasing in volume. Googling on "PIK" doesn't help a bit...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow' post='793476 View Post
    ... would I gain anything from installing the RTM?
    Given that Enterprise is designed for IT professionals and I don't think you've ever claimed that that's what you are, AND a quote like this one from Windows 7 Enterprise:
    "Windows 7 Enterprise does not contain all the features of Windows 7 Ultimate, but it contains a majority of features you will find in that SKU. Again, if you didn't get to download the Windows 7 RC last month, here is a great chance to take Windows 7 for a spin."
    Since you DID get to try the RC I'd say you'd be wasting 30-90 days effort.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='793507' date='16-Sep-2009 04:51']What are you Chuck, a glutton for punishment? You've got Win7 and can't wait another 30 days to buy the final product? My goodness...

Given that Enterprise is designed for IT professionals and I don't think you've ever claimed that that's what you are, AND a quote like this one from Windows 7 Enterprise:
    "Windows 7 Enterprise does not contain all the features of Windows 7 Ultimate, but it contains a majority of features you will find in that SKU. Again, if you didn't get to download the Windows 7 RC last month, here is a great chance to take Windows 7 for a spin."
    Since you DID get to try the RC I'd say you'd be wasting 30-90 days effort.[/quote]

I think that post you quoted is incorrect unless it is referring to the trial version specifically. Every other review I've read about Win7, such as Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows 7 Product Editions: A Comparison, states that Win7 Ultimate & Enterprise have the same features. See also Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows 7 Product Editions Overview which states "Aside from licensing differences, Windows 7 Enterprise is functionally identical to Windows 7 Ultimate and includes every single feature offered by Windows 7."

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='793498' date='16-Sep-2009 02:58']Batcher, it said at the download site that there was no PIK...that it was "built in". Dunno. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

As far as the quantity, I have it. I got it on 90 day trial download -- unlike the 64-bit I was looking for in b-7100, I got both the 64 and 32-bit trials.

I suppose what I'm wondering is if the RTM version has sufficient changes / improvements for me to switch to the Enterprise RTM, or just stay with the Ultimate b7100.[/quote]

The biggest differences you'd see are in stability and performance. There may be some slight operational differences between the beta version and RTM version. Depending on your situation you may not see any difference.

Do you realize that at the end of the trial period for Win7 Enterprise you'll be required to do a clean install of whatever version of Win7 you decide you like?

Win7 Enterprise has no additional features compared to Win7 Ultimate. The only difference between the two version is licensing. At this stage, I recommend you stick with the version you have until you get the official released version.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='793476' date='15-Sep-2009 19:28']I downloaded the Enterprise RTM 32 and 64 bit.
    Regards,
    Chuck Billow[/quote]

WHERE did you download this from?

DID you get new KEY CODE(S) for this copy?

The key codes for the beta will NOT work with ANY RTM version?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='793545' date='16-Sep-2009 08:27']WHERE did you download this from?

DID you get new KEY CODE(S) for this copy?

The key codes for the beta will NOT work with ANY RTM version?[/quote]

Guys:

I'll work backwards:

Dave, I got the copies (32 and 64) from MS (I believe). It was the last day of availability, so I grabbed both, even though I wasn't (and am not) sure if I even really would gain anything from the switch.

The PIK (Al, that's a Microsoft acronym, not mine, for Product Identification Key) is built into the version.

I understand that if I (had I) installed this, it would be good for 90 days, and then I would need to... I wasn't looking for more capabilities, just perhaps more stability.

Guys, often what I am trying/hoping for is to "just" get exactly what "the box" says it will do. Here is a perfect example:

Over the years I've collected the specific icons for various sites I've visited. rather than pawing through a foot-long path to get to them, I assigned a letter to the folder (O via explorer/mapping. Then, if I want to assign a specific icon, it's just O:\icon.ico.

Yesterday, I turn on my machine, and all the icons on my desktop that were so assigned are gone -- not gone, but the "link" isn't working, so the icon is some generic poop from shell32.dll. All the mapping is in order (per My Computer window).

So I'm thinking "Self, this is probably just some last minute glitch in the beta....You'll just have to go back and "re-attach" the icons to the shortcuts I guess..."

I'm fairly happy, not perfectly, but fairly happy with what Win_7 does and how it does it -- but I do wish it would work the same way each time. Sometimes I will be on a "quest" for "the better way or better fix" and sometimes I just trip over it (no snickering) in reading or whatever, so I try it/them out, knowing that sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

So...the Enterprise RTM was just a "stop along the way", as it seemed to me that it was pretty much the same as Ultimate -- but more stability would be great!

IF I had been able to grab Ultimate RTM (90 day version I guess?) that would have been even better. I couldn't do that, so I was just wondering if the Enterprise version was sort of the same thing.

Regards,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='793553' date='16-Sep-2009 12:33']Guys:

I'll work backwards:

Dave, I got the copies (32 and 64) from MS (I believe). It was the last day of availability, so I grabbed both, even though I wasn't (and am not) sure if I even really would gain anything from the switch.

The PIK (Al, that's a Microsoft acronym, not mine, for Product Identification Key) is built into the version.

I understand that if I (had I) installed this, it would be good for 90 days, and then I would need to... I wasn't looking for more capabilities, just perhaps more stability.

Guys, often what I am trying/hoping for is to "just" get exactly what "the box" says it will do. Here is a perfect example:

Over the years I've collected the specific icons for various sites I've visited. rather than pawing through a foot-long path to get to them, I assigned a letter to the folder (O via explorer/mapping. Then, if I want to assign a specific icon, it's just O:\icon.ico.

Yesterday, I turn on my machine, and all the icons on my desktop that were so assigned are gone -- not gone, but the "link" isn't working, so the icon is some generic poop from shell32.dll. All the mapping is in order (per My Computer window).

So I'm thinking "Self, this is probably just some last minute glitch in the beta....You'll just have to go back and "re-attach" the icons to the shortcuts I guess..."

I'm fairly happy, not perfectly, but fairly happy with what Win_7 does and how it does it -- but I do wish it would work the same way each time. Sometimes I will be on a "quest" for "the better way or better fix" and sometimes I just trip over it (no snickering) in reading or whatever, so I try it/them out, knowing that sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

So...the Enterprise RTM was just a "stop along the way", as it seemed to me that it was pretty much the same as Ultimate -- but more stability would be great!

IF I had been able to grab Ultimate RTM (90 day version I guess?) that would have been even better. I couldn't do that, so I was just wondering if the Enterprise version was sort of the same thing.

Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]

What you have is 'a learning experience', or what we laymen call learning. It doesn't matter which version you have nor what its limitations or complications may be: you have a chance to learn as much as possible about Windows 7 as possible in advance of your peers. If you are in a position to use that to, let us say, enhance your employment opportunities, and I suggest that you use it to the fullest, night and day, in advance of the official release date to accomplish that end.

The version will not matter, although Enterprise just happens to be the version that is likely to be used by the biggest of the big, and if in case you happen to be ambitious, it won't hurt you to learn it. If you have a computer that will run it, and the demands are less than those of Vista, then go for 64-bit rather than 32-bit. In the short run most may use 32-bit, but 64-bit will be standard in no time flat. In either case use the latest version you have access to, subscribe to every Win 7 newsletter on the internet (the books aren't out yet), and so on. Mailing lists help: be selective in what you treat as spam or otherwise, because if you get on the right mailing lists and best of all interact with them, you may find yourself on the winning end of offers lists. If you have a computer that can either be dedicated to it or a Virtual PC on your main computer, run some beta versions.

Regards
    Peter

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='793553' date='16-Sep-2009 12:33']I got the copies (32 and 64) from MS (I believe). It was the last day of availability, so I grabbed both, even though I wasn't (and am not) sure if I even really would gain anything from the switch.[/quote]

Chuck, I find this all very confusing. Can you provide us with the URL for the download site of this RTM version?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='793762' date='17-Sep-2009 14:31']Chuck, I find this all very confusing.[/quote]
    Welcome to the club!
    I don't understand just what Chuck is doing again?
    I'd like to help you out, Chuck. Which way did you come in?

Memo to Chuck:
    Try to explain this a little differently, please.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast