Thread: Spyware Doctor

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Having uninstalled Spyware Doctor (with much difficulty) and reinstalled it a message came up on my screen saying "pctsAuxs.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". What is all this about and should I be concerned?

Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='793508' date='16-Sep-2009 10:57']Having uninstalled Spyware Doctor (with much difficulty) and reinstalled it a message came up on my screen saying "pctsAuxs.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". What is all this about and should I be concerned?[/quote]
    This 'PC Tools Auxiliary Service' service was located at C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe. See if that directory in Program Files is still there, and if it contains any files.

If the Uninstall of Spyware Doctor hasn't removed this service correctly, I would use Autoruns and click on the Service tab. Hunt down the list until you find the offending service, and remove the tick from the checkbox in front of the line. Next time you reboot, you shouldn't get the message. (You could also right-click on the appropriate line and select Delete, if you're feeling confident!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='793514' date='17-Sep-2009 00:47']This 'PC Tools Auxiliary Service' service was located at C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor\pctsAuxs.exe. See if that directory in Program Files is still there, and if it contains any files.

If the Uninstall of Spyware Doctor hasn't removed this service correctly, I would use Autoruns and click on the Service tab. Hunt down the list until you find the offending service, and remove the tick from the checkbox in front of the line. Next time you reboot, you shouldn't get the message. (You could also right-click on the appropriate line and select Delete, if you're feeling confident!)[/quote]

pctsAuxs.exe appears as a file in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor but not as a folder itself. I have run Autoruns and it does not appear under Services.

Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='794118' date='20-Sep-2009 05:02']pctsAuxs.exe appears as a file in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor but not as a folder itself. I have run Autoruns and it does not appear under Services.[/quote]
    By "that directory" I mean the SpywareDoctor directory! If pctsAuxs.exe is not under Services tab, then try the Logon tab... I'd be very surprised if it was anywhere else.
    BATcher

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='794125' date='20-Sep-2009 21:25']By "that directory" I mean the SpywareDoctor directory! If pctsAuxs.exe is not under Services tab, then try the Logon tab... I'd be very surprised if it was anywhere else.[/quote]

pctsAuxs.exe does not appear anywhere in Autoruns. It only appears as a file in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor directory.

Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='794132' date='20-Sep-2009 11:06']pctsAuxs.exe does not appear anywhere in Autoruns. It only appears as a file in C:\Program Files\Spyware Doctor directory.[/quote]
    Why not just delete the SpywareDoctor directory and everything in it? Thus whatever is trying to start pctsAuxs.exe won't be able to!
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Phil reported that he reinstalled Spyware Doctor, so I assume that he wants to run it. Deleting the SpywareDoctor folder would make that difficult...

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='794135' date='20-Sep-2009 11:54']Phil reported that he reinstalled Spyware Doctor, so I assume that he wants to run it. Deleting the SpywareDoctor folder would make that difficult...[/quote]
    Very true - I seem to have concentrated rather too much on him saying that he had uninstalled it, and thus presumed he had finished with it...
    BATcher