Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It appears our IT department has hijacked the keyboard shortcut for the Heading 1 style. Ctrl+Alt+1 now launches an emergency reporting application that resides on everyone's desktop. (I confirmed this behavior or my neighbor's system.) Whoever did this probably thought (correctly) that few if any employees even know what a Word style is, much less how to apply a style with a keyboard shortcut. However, the IT department didn't bother to publicize the shortcut, so I really don't understand why they bothered.

I e-mailed the IT people and asked them if it's OK to reset this shortcut. I can't imagine they'll demand I leave it alone. When they give me the go-ahead, I'll need to know how to change it from within MS-Word. I knew how to do this in earlier versions, but I can't find anything in the Help menu to show me how.

Anyone...? Thanks!

Thanks
    [quote name='Caesar3' post='793537' date='16-Sep-2009 15:51']It appears our IT department has hijacked the keyboard shortcut for the Heading 1 style. Ctrl+Alt+1 now launches an emergency reporting application that resides on everyone's desktop. (I confirmed this behavior or my neighbor's system.) Whoever did this probably thought (correctly) that few if any employees even know what a Word style is, much less how to apply a style with a keyboard shortcut. However, the IT department didn't bother to publicize the shortcut, so I really don't understand why they bothered.

I e-mailed the IT people and asked them if it's OK to reset this shortcut. I can't imagine they'll demand I leave it alone. When they give me the go-ahead, I'll need to know how to change it from within MS-Word. I knew how to do this in earlier versions, but I can't find anything in the Help menu to show me how.

Anyone...? Thanks![/quote]
    There are instructions on how to customise Word 2007 keyboard shortcuts here (and no doubt in many other places, but that was the first hit on Google).

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There is probably a quick way of doing this, but I am only just learning Word 2007 myself so here is the method that I found.

• Click the little down-arrow on the right of the Quick Access Toolbar
    • Select More Commands...
    • In the "Choose commands from" drop down select "Commands Not in the Ribbon"
    • Select "Apply Heading 1"
    • Click the "Customize" button at the bottom of the form next to where it says "Keyboard shortcuts:"
    You should now be in a familiar dialog box where you can configure the shortcut you want to use.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ian and Stuart: Please accept my thanks. I found where to customize the shortcut and—much to my surprise—I found that Ctrl+Alt+1 is the keyboard shortcut for the Heading 1 style! Clearly, this is a problem we won't solve here in this forum. I guess I'll need to find the so-and-so who hijacked the shortcut and make him (or her) fix the problem!

Thanks
    [quote name='Caesar3' post='793563' date='16-Sep-2009 18:56']Ian and Stuart: Please accept my thanks. I found where to customize the shortcut and—much to my surprise—I found that Ctrl+Alt+1 is the keyboard shortcut for the Heading 1 style! Clearly, this is a problem we won't solve here in this forum. I guess I'll need to find the so-and-so who hijacked the shortcut and make him (or her) fix the problem![/quote]
    I suppose that if a shortcut is set for some function in Windows, that might override what the same key combination would otherwise do in a particular application. I wonder whether you are able to select a different keyboard shortcut yourself in Windows for the emergency reporting application. Or have they got you locked down so that you can't do that? You didn't say which version of Windows you are on, but in XP you set a shortcut key combination by right clicking the desktop icon, selecting Properties, and then there is a box in which you can specify the key combination you want. You could try it, but the IT people might change it back, or you might find it greyed out.

Ian

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Ian! I launched the properties for the desktop icon, and, sure enough, the keyboard shortcut was Ctrl + Alt + 1!! I changed it back to "None," and the problem is fixed!

Thanks
    [quote name='Caesar3' post='793590' date='16-Sep-2009 20:56']Thank you, Ian! I launched the properties for the desktop icon, and, sure enough, the keyboard shortcut was Ctrl + Alt + 1!! I changed it back to "None," and the problem is fixed![/quote]
    Let's just hope your IT people don't change it back again!

Ian