Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I'd appreciate a link or whatever to a starting from scratch "how to" on cross referencing (using Word 2007 but working in compatability mode for clients with 2003).

It's a short document (6 pages) with only a few references but because I delete/add sections I want the 'references' to change as the numbered clauses/headings change.

An example is .....

1.0 Site Investigation

1.1 The site investigation revealed that.......

Then later in the document a reference to that sentence or heading - eg See Clause 1.1.

I want the reference to link to the relevant sentence/heading and change automatically as I delete/add sections. Hope that makes sense - I've googled it but thought someone in here might have the perfect 'how to' link.

Thanks - Kathy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Word 2003:
    • Insert > Reference > Cross Reference...
    • Reference type > Heading
    • Insert Reference to > Heading number full context
    • Select the correct heading and click OK
    Word 2007
    • Insert tab > Links group > Cross reference
    • Then follow the same instructions as for Word 2003

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Be very careful when deleting or cutting and pasting (or modifying) text that has been marked with cross-references. Cross-references make use of a hidden "target" code that can be deleted or moved accidentally during edits. If that happens, the link will break and the cross-reference won't work properly.

Also, if you need to start a new paragraph after one that contains a cross-reference, be sure to put the cursor at the end of the paragraph before pressing Enter. If you position the cursor between the numbered heading and the text and press Enter, that can break the cross-reference, too.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Another point to remember is that codes in Word don't always "update" automatically. If the cross-reference codes don't seem to be updating, select the entire document (Ctrl A) and press F9.

Jan

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Stuart, Jan - between asking for help and seeing your answers I had a go at cross referencing but had trouble with the fields not updating when I deleted added/paras. Gave up but will have another try soon following your instructions.

Kathy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, you have to be very careful how you delete or add text; if the hidden target codes are erased or moved, things probably won't work right.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='794376' date='22-Sep-2009 07:19']Again, you have to be very careful how you delete or add text; if the hidden target codes are erased or moved, things probably won't work right.[/quote]
    Cross-references to headings are less of a problem than cross-references to bookmarks because word manages the "hidden target codes" automatically on your behalf.

The biggest problem I see is people who accidentally add a paragraph of text within the heading, and then use manual formatting to make it look like normal text.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jan/Stuart - I'll be careful :-). That part was easy (once you know how). I probably didn't explain properly but I thought a 'link' like that would also take me to the appropriate clause - maybe that's what you're talking about with 'bookmarks' Stuart. That is, not only do I want the 'references' to change when I delete/add text but Ialso want the eg "see 2.20" to take me to the relevant clause. Hope that makes sense - I'm sure it doesn't help when people don't know the right questions to ask :-)....Kathy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Katie' post='794391' date='22-Sep-2009 11:44']I also want the eg "see 2.20" to take me to the relevant clause.[/quote]
    Make sure that you have checked Insert as Hyperlink, then use Control-click to follow the link.

[attachment=85644:CrossReference.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart, no hope for me - "insert as hyperlink" is ticked but I can't see anything 'clickable' where I've inserted the reference and if I right click on the 'reference' there's update field, edit field but nothing about hyperlinks.

Thanks for trying - Kathy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does Ctrl-click do anything on the cross-reference?

You can verify your cross-references are hyperlinks by toggling the field codes and seeing if there is a \h tag in the field. To do this, select the crossref and press Shift-F9. You can edit the field and press F9 to update it.

If the field looks like this it is a hyperlink {REF _Ref241461817 \h}. If it looks like this it is not hyperlinked {REF _Ref241461817}
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew - looks like I was there without realising it. Not sure why I expected just a click would take me there or why I expected to see something about hyperlinks in the right hand click options. But all is good, control click works and toggling the codes also as it should be. I guess it's a one by one process, that is no quick way to do cross referencing - now I'm on the right track I'd like to do the 100 page document (probably 1000 different clause numbers to different headings)

Thanks everyone for the help.

Kathy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Using ctrl-click instead of a click is an option that Word has. It can be very annoying when you want to edit a hyperlink and you click it only to open the result rather than putting your cursor in the spot.

To change the default behaviour with the hyperlink clicks you need to go to Office Button > Word Options > Advanced >Editing Options and look for the fourth check box which says "Use CTRL + Click to follow hyperlink". If this is turned off, you can click a hyperlink without holding Ctrl but I would recommend against doing that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Andrew, now I know to ctrl click that's fine - as I said what confused me most was no mention of hyperlinks in the right click options (as per eg an internet address). I was obviously a bit zoned out not thinking of ctrl click, do it often enough :-)

The other thing I was asking was (and logic tells me no) is there a quick way to do hundreds of individual cross references (realise almost certainly has to be one by one but would hate to plod away if it wasn't necessary)

And again everyone, thanks for the help!! Saved me buying a how to :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Katie' post='795206' date='28-Sep-2009 08:42']The other thing I was asking was (and logic tells me no) is there a quick way to do hundreds of individual cross references (realise almost certainly has to be one by one but would hate to plod away if it wasn't necessary)[/quote]
    When you say 'do hundreds of individual cross references', do you want to create multiple cross-refs, follow multiple cross-refs or add the \h switch to multiple cross-refs?

There will be a way to automate what you want but we need to understand exactly what you want to do in order to make suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast