New Lounger
    Thanks
    On a customer's network, all of his computers are listed to be backed up by WHS - including the WHS machine. The Remove button is grayed out. Attempting to backup results in an error message that the server backup disk is not connected.

How do I remove WHS from the list? Or is this really a feature where I can back up WHS to an external or network drive?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='D2D' post='793807' date='17-Sep-2009 18:58']On a customer's network, all of his computers are listed to be backed up by WHS - including the WHS machine. The Remove button is grayed out. Attempting to backup results in an error message that the server backup disk is not connected.

How do I remove WHS from the list? Or is this really a feature where I can back up WHS to an external or network drive?[/quote]

Is the Remove button still grayed out when you select the WHS machine in the list?

Yes, you can backup some of the WHS machine to an external drive. Current versions of WHS software will NOT backup the PC backups stored on the WHS machine.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='793825' date='17-Sep-2009 22:20']Is the Remove button still grayed out when you select the WHS machine in the list?

Yes, you can backup some of the WHS machine to an external drive. Current versions of WHS software will NOT backup the PC backups stored on the WHS machine.

Joe[/quote]

Thank you for the reply. The remove button is still grayed out if WHS is selected in the list. It is not grayed out for the other machines.

I did not expect to be able to back up the PC back ups - though it would be nice to be able to get some things off site. I saw a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that seemed to think that the backups on WHS and the installations on the PCs were sufficient protection. Odd since they were pushing WHS for small offices in that pitch.

Bob Havey
    D2D Computer Services
    Springfield, VA

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='D2D' post='793972' date='18-Sep-2009 19:53']Thank you for the reply. The remove button is still grayed out if WHS is selected in the list. It is not grayed out for the other machines.

I did not expect to be able to back up the PC back ups - though it would be nice to be able to get some things off site. I saw a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation that seemed to think that the backups on WHS and the installations on the PCs were sufficient protection. Odd since they were pushing WHS for small offices in that pitch.

Bob Havey
    D2D Computer Services
    Springfield, VA[/quote]

There is a free addin that will backup the backup database. See MediaSmartServer.net View topic - WHS Backup Database-Backup (BDBB) Add-In version 1.0.1.6.

I'm not sure why you can't remove the WHS machine. You might be able to ask at the link above.

Joe
    Joe