Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello!

I am using Windows XP Professional, SP2, on a very powerful Dell computer.

When I cold-boot my machine, it can take around 15 minutes for all applications to become stable enough to work for them: Office, Firefox, Windows Explorer, and Outlook. We have noticed in the system tray that the Internet connection is the last icon (the dual monitors) to log in there. We feel that this delay in logging in to the Internet may be causing an overall delay in the applications being ready to go. We have heard that these applications are fighting for Internet access, and that there can be delay if they don't find it.

Does anyone know how to adjust the system so that Internet access is earlier? This could solve the bootup delay.

Thanks for your help!

David Bean in UK

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps you have too many applications/processes starting automatically. You can use a free utility such as WhatInStartup (simple) or Autoruns (more advanced) to see which programs are started automatically, and to disable them if desired.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='davidbean' post='793808' date='17-Sep-2009 19:59']Does anyone know how to adjust the system so that Internet access is earlier?[/quote]
    After you take a look at startup as Hans suggested (there's ALWAYS something questionable there), you might want to jockey around with the "delay" of startup programs with a program like: Startup Delayer that was mentioned by Joe Perez in Post 767018 earlier this year. I haven't tried one of these since way back in Win 98, so I don't know how much help it will be today.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='793811' date='18-Sep-2009 01:04']Perhaps you have too many applications/processes starting automatically. You can use a free utility such as WhatInStartup (simple) or Autoruns (more advanced) to see which programs are started automatically, and to disable them if desired.[/quote]

Thanks for your tips, Hans. My IT support has Autoruns, and we may try it. We made some changes in the registry today, and the system is booting much faster now. The Internet icons are now in the middle of the system tray after booting, and no longer at the very end. I was waiting 15 ... 20 minutes for all applications to become completely stable, and that was much too long. My IT buddy switched off Live Messenger from launching at boot, and he disabled the Google toolbar update program. Now we'll see if this improvement is permanent. If not, we want to examine the router to see if it has a delay timer set there (we need a password to change that, though). Thanks again for your help. David.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='793863' date='18-Sep-2009 12:38']After you take a look at startup as Hans suggested (there's ALWAYS something questionable there), you might want to jockey around with the "delay" of startup programs with a program like: Startup Delayer that was mentioned by Joe Perez in Post 767018 earlier this year. I haven't tried one of these since way back in Win 98, so I don't know how much help it will be today.[/quote]

Thanks for giving me your info, Al. I appreciate that. See my answer to Hans above. If the measures we described above are not a permanent help, I'll report back to you. But thanks at any rate. David

Thanks
    [quote name='davidbean' post='793808' date='18-Sep-2009 00:59'][/quote]
    If you can still be bothered ( ) can you just as a matter of interest...

1] Start up TaskManager as soon as you can and monitor the peak and final number of applications running when boot-up is complete

2] Do you log on to the pc? If so, what happens if you leave the logon screen for a couple of minutes before you actually log on?

3] What happens if you exclude FireFox from automatic startup? I often find that the first time I use it each day (without necessarily re-started) it can be quite slow, which I have always put down to it clearing its cache/history of items which are no longer within the x number of days retaining period.

And don't forget, whether you use it or not, Internet Explorer may also be checking for updates (Post 793404)