Thread: Heading styles

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

Not sure how to handle this so perhaps someone can provide an insipiration as to how to achieve this. I need to create a template that is to be used by our training department. The structure needs to be as follows:
    [codebox]
    Level 1 Heading (Part 1)- Outer Super Section heading
    Level 2 Heading - Chapter heading
    Level 3 Heading - Sub heading
    Level 4 Heading - Sub-sub- heading
    Level 1 Heading (Part 2)
    Level 4 Heading - Sub-sub- heading
    Level 1 Heading (Part 3)
    [/codebox]
    I need the Part 'X' to be updated automatically everytime it is used, i.e. everytime I add a paragraph with this style it would increment the'Part number' to the next number? If not possible automatically through the use of style, would it be possible with some nifty VBA macro? That is when the user wants to create a new 'Part X super section' he runs a macro instead of selecting Heading 1 as a style.

The "Outer Super Section" is to look like this:
    [codebox]Part X.
    XXXX Product Concepts

Objectives
    Describe what the this is
    Describe the business flows of the manual and semi-manual
    Explain what XXXX is and how it is used
    [/codebox]
    Other heading sections to be as follows (or very much similar):
    Level 2 Heading - Chapter heading. For example: 1 ChapterJKL or 1.1 ChapterJKL (if we can't do just '1 ChapterJKL')
    Level 3 Heading - Sub heading. For example: 1.1 Section ABCD or 1.1.1. Section ABCD (if we can't do just '1.1. Section ABCD')
    Level 4 Heading - Sub-sub- heading: For example: 1.1.1. Section XYZ or 1.1.1.1 Section XYZ (if we can't do just '1.1.1. Section XYZ')

Thanks.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can specify text both before and after the numbering, and you can suppress (hide) levels if you want in the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog.

See Shauna Kelly's Microsoft Word Help FAQ. How to create heading numbering and outline numbering in Microsoft Word for some useful general tips.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='793865' date='18-Sep-2009 12:42']You can specify text both before and after the numbering, and you can suppress (hide) levels if you want in the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog.

See Shauna Kelly's Microsoft Word Help FAQ. How to create heading numbering and outline numbering in Microsoft Word for some useful general tips.[/quote]

Thanks. I will try out Shauna's article and see how I get along. I may come back with further questions if I get lost.
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='793865' date='18-Sep-2009 12:42']You can specify text both before and after the numbering, and you can suppress (hide) levels if you want in the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog.

See Shauna Kelly's Microsoft Word Help FAQ. How to create heading numbering and outline numbering in Microsoft Word for some useful general tips.[/quote]

Hi Hans

Thanks for the tip regarding Shauna's article. Great help. Managed to setup heading with correct levels and as I required. Now, the hard bit.

As part of this template, all pages will have a header with the name of the Heading 1 style and (Headign 2 style). The problem, I have is that at the start of each Heading 1 style (is a single page with H1 title & couple of other paragraphs). Next page is H2 heading with further details. I can't quite get the headers to behave. For example:

[codebox]Page 4 -> H1=Part 1 Heading is: Part 1 - Chap 1 when I it should just be 'Part 1' - WRONG
    Page 5 -> H2, i.e. 1.1 Chap 1 Part 1 - Chap 1 when I it should just be 'Part 1' - Correct
    Page 6 -> H2, i.e. 1.2 Chap 2 Part 1 - Chap 2 when I it should just be 'Part 1' - Correct

Page 7 -> H1=Part 2 Part 2 - Chap 3 when I it should just be 'Part 1' - WRONG
    Page 8 -> H2, i.e. 2.1 Chap 3 Part 2 - Chap 3 when I it should just be 'Part 1' - Correct
    Page 9 -> H3, i.e. 2.1.1 Part 2 - Chap 23when I it should just be 'Part 1' - Correct

Page 10 -> H1
    Page 11 -> H2, i.e. 3.1[/codebox]
    Attachment will give a better idea.

[attachment=85586:Partheading.png]

[attachment=85587:Partheading2.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could insert a section break before each new Part (Heading 1 paragraph), and tick the check box "Different first page" in the Layout tab of File | Page Setup...
    That way, you can create a different header for the first page of each section (= Part).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='793960' date='19-Sep-2009 00:09']You could insert a section break before each new Part (Heading 1 paragraph), and tick the check box "Different first page" in the Layout tab of File | Page Setup...
    That way, you can create a different header for the first page of each section (= Part).[/quote]

Thanks. But is it possible to do it *without* using section breaks? Section breaks lead to all sort of problems when they deleted accidently etc & my users are prone making that mistake.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I think it'll be difficult without section breaks - I tried it but couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution.

Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='793995' date='19-Sep-2009 01:38']Section breaks lead to all sort of problems when they deleted accidently etc & my users are prone making that mistake.[/quote]
    For my first decade working with Word, I always used Normal view (now called Draft view in Word 2007), so I couldn't understand why people were so frustrated with section breaks. Now that I use Page Layout view more often, I often switch back to Normal view to diagnose strange behavior or fine-tune layout around page/section breaks. It would be nice if Microsoft found a way to better represent these features in Page Layout view...but until then, I agree that many users will continue to be frustrated by section breaks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='793907' date='18-Sep-2009 12:19']Hi Hans

Thanks for the tip regarding Shauna's article. Great help. Managed to setup heading with correct levels and as I required. Now, the hard bit.

As part of this template, all pages will have a header with the name of the Heading 1 style and (Headign 2 style). The problem, I have is that at the start of each Heading 1 style (is a single page with H1 title & couple of other paragraphs). Next page is H2 heading with further details. I can't quite get the headers to behave. For example:[/quote]

Did you use two style refs to generate the running head? If not, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PamCaswell' post='794113' date='20-Sep-2009 02:54']Did you use two style refs to generate the running head? If not, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm.

Pam[/quote]

Yes, I used styleref. { STYLEREF "Heading 1" \w \* MERGEFORMAT } - { STYLEREF "Heading 2" \l \t \* MERGEFORMAT }

Thanks Pam. Very very useful article and website.

Added a 'hidden Heading 2' paragraph after the 'Heading 1' paragraph. This shows up as 'blank' on the header & *looks just great*. It also doesn't turn up in the TOC. Perfect - just perfect.

Thank you again Pam.
    Thanks.
    Robie

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='robie' post='794230' date='21-Sep-2009 05:13']Yes, I used styleref. { STYLEREF "Heading 1" \w \* MERGEFORMAT } - { STYLEREF "Heading 2" \l \t \* MERGEFORMAT }

Thanks Pam. Very very useful article and website.

Added a 'hidden Heading 2' paragraph after the 'Heading 1' paragraph. This shows up as 'blank' on the header & *looks just great*. It also doesn't turn up in the TOC. Perfect - just perfect.

Thank you again Pam.[/quote]
    You are welcome.
    Pam Caswell