New Lounger
    Thanks
    A little background first - I'm a developer on a kernel level security product and we use VMware VM's to load and test software and do debugging on. My primary test VM has Office 2k3 on it and somewhere along the line, I did something bad to it such that empty new Office documents (Word, Excel, etc) can no longer be created through File Explorer's New -> xxx command.

When a new Word 2k3 document is created through the use of File Explorer's "New ->Microsoft Office Word Document" command, the result is a 92k document that Word fails to understand. Word responds by displaying the installation applet that allows a user to select a language package that will be able to decode the file. This is puzzling since Normal.dot file appears to be perfectly reasonable and has a size of (if I remember correctly) 28k.

Even more puzzling, new documents created by Word itself are perfectly fine. That sort of makes me suspect that the File Explorer associations for a new Word document are in error in some fashion but, if so, I don't see it. The File Explorer Folder Options for File New look reasonable ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /f /dde and 'Use DDE' is checked with a DDE Message of "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" /n /f /dde).

Any suggestions on what else I can look at or try would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

The mechanism is rather different. When you select New | Microsoft Office Word Document from the right-click menu in Windows Explorer, Windows copies the file Winword8.doc from C:\Windows\ShellNew to the active folder. Apparently this file has become corrupted.

One way of correcting it is to start Word and save the blank file that Word starts with as Winword8.doc in C:\Windows\ShellNew, overwriting the original version.

Another way is to perform a repair install of Office, but that would cause you to lose some of your settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Outstanding, Hans! I never would have found that on my own. A simple copy from another VM and now my favorite development VM is alive and kicking.

For future reference, I suspect (but cannot prove) that I trashed the file through normal Word recovery. A little while back, I started word and got the recovery sidebar own normally gets when Word crashes/closes with an unsaved document in its grasp. In that particular case, it was named 'New Microsoft Word Document.doc' and I was not really paying proper attention at the time to what buttons I was pushing.

Anyway, thanks for the spot on diagnosis.

[quote name='HansV' post='793940' date='18-Sep-2009 16:58']Welcome to the Lounge!

The mechanism is rather different. When you select New | Microsoft Office Word Document from the right-click menu in Windows Explorer, Windows copies the file Winword8.doc from C:\Windows\ShellNew to the active folder. Apparently this file has become corrupted.

One way of correcting it is to start Word and save the blank file that Word starts with as Winword8.doc in C:\Windows\ShellNew, overwriting the original version.

Another way is to perform a repair install of Office, but that would cause you to lose some of your settings.[/quote]