5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Several days ago, I began having trouble when I click on links in email messages. The mouse pointer changes to a hand, but nothing more happens. The application (both Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird) become non-responsive.

At the same time, I lost the ability to double-click a file in Windows Explorer in order to open it. I can right click, but Open does not work. Other right-click features (cut, copy, Win-Zip, Send to) function as expected.

This sounds like a DDE or similar issue to me. I have no idea how to fix it. Can someone offer some help?

Links in Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc. function as expected. If I access email via webmail, I can successfully click on the links in email messages. The problem seems to be isolated to email clients and Windows Explorer.

Many thanks,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds suspiciously like malware to me. Have you/can you run something like MalWareBytes to see what it reckons about the drive before you start following up on your DDE suspicion?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've now discovered that if I wait 4 or 5 minutes, the link or file does open. JPG and TXT files open immediately with a double-click; Word (DOC) files and links have a big delay.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's some kind of malware; I've recently run a half dozen utilities to get things cleaned up on this PC, but the improvement has been slight.

Thanks for your suggestion.