New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about installing a Windows Home Server for a small home business network...a couple of computers, a printer, and a couple of intermittent wireless guest laptops. The business already has an established domain name. I read WHS for Dummies, but I can't tell if I can use my existing domain name or if I have to use a homeserver.com domain name. There is a mention that HP offers a free domain name for their SmartServers and also a mention of DynDNS.com, so it sounds like there are alternatives available. Yet I can't find any information about how to make it work. Help, please?
    Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Suileabhain' post='794089' date='19-Sep-2009 16:17']I'm thinking about installing a Windows Home Server for a small home business network...a couple of computers, a printer, and a couple of intermittent wireless guest laptops. The business already has an established domain name. I read WHS for Dummies, but I can't tell if I can use my existing domain name or if I have to use a homeserver.com domain name. There is a mention that HP offers a free domain name for their SmartServers and also a mention of DynDNS.com, so it sounds like there are alternatives available. Yet I can't find any information about how to make it work. Help, please?
    Thanks![/quote]

You don't have a Windows domain with WHS. It is a workgroup environment. You can use it to in your SBS environment because you need to install an agent on each PC/server that you wish to backup on the WHS machine. See Using Windows Home Server to Back Up Windows Small Business Client Computers for more details.

The domains such as homerserver.com as the ones you mentions from HP and DynDNS.com are internet domains not Windows domains.

Joe
    Joe