5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Friend of mine was given an eMachine desktop running XP Home Edition. Yesterday I went over to help lug a desk for it up from her storage area, hook the PC up, and make sure it was running OK once the cable company tech installed a cable modem. They supplied a modem with a built-in wireless router, and the desktop had a D-link wireless card installed already.

BUT the cable tech said he had to use a wired connection for the first part of the setup. No problem, I thought, I'd brought a 50-foot Ethernet cable with me. PC refused to connect to the router. Couldn't find any obvious problem, so I pulled the Ethernet card (a D-link) and installed a different brand which the tech had in his truck. Still couldn't connect. Tech ran out of time and left, taking the modem/router with him (said the company won't leave it onsite unless entire setup is completed successfully).

I brought the PC home and plugged it into my home network. Removed TCP/IP and all other network items and reinstalled. Network Connection Status shows packets being transmitted, none received. Tried setting a static IP address, same result. Did a Repair Install of XP Home with a CD that included SP3 (original condition was SP2). Same status: packets sent, none received. Used Msconfig to disable all Startup items, no improvement.

I'm totally out of ideas. Anybody got suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='794130' date='20-Sep-2009 04:39']Friend of mine was given an eMachine desktop running XP Home Edition. Yesterday I went over to help lug a desk for it up from her storage area, hook the PC up, and make sure it was running OK once the cable company tech installed a cable modem. They supplied a modem with a built-in wireless router, and the desktop had a D-link wireless card installed already.

BUT the cable tech said he had to use a wired connection for the first part of the setup. No problem, I thought, I'd brought a 50-foot Ethernet cable with me. PC refused to connect to the router. Couldn't find any obvious problem, so I pulled the Ethernet card (a D-link) and installed a different brand which the tech had in his truck. Still couldn't connect. Tech ran out of time and left, taking the modem/router with him (said the company won't leave it onsite unless entire setup is completed successfully).

I brought the PC home and plugged it into my home network. Removed TCP/IP and all other network items and reinstalled. Network Connection Status shows packets being transmitted, none received. Tried setting a static IP address, same result. Did a Repair Install of XP Home with a CD that included SP3 (original condition was SP2). Same status: packets sent, none received. Used Msconfig to disable all Startup items, no improvement.

I'm totally out of ideas. Anybody got suggestions?[/quote]

Have you checked the BIOS to see if anything is disabled there?

Are you using the D-link card with your network? Are you sure it is good?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='794259' date='21-Sep-2009 09:40']Have you checked the BIOS to see if anything is disabled there?

Are you using the D-link card with your network? Are you sure it is good?

Joe[/quote]

The only thing in the BIOS that is specifically related to the NIC is Wake On LAN. Don't see any other BIOS entries that look hinky.

Bought another NIC today, a StarTech with a Realtek chip. Exact same behavior as the other two NICs.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='794301' date='21-Sep-2009 13:03']The only thing in the BIOS that is specifically related to the NIC is Wake On LAN. Don't see any other BIOS entries that look hinky.

Bought another NIC today, a StarTech with a Realtek chip. Exact same behavior as the other two NICs.[/quote]

Running any firewall that would block traffic?

Do you need to change your router configuration?

Can the PC connect directly to the Cable/DSL without the router?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The wireless card's MAC address needs to be added to the wireless router's list of authorized MAC addresses.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='mdenison' post='794331' date='21-Sep-2009 16:22']The wireless card's MAC address needs to be added to the wireless router's list of authorized MAC addresses.[/quote]

I'm going to have to replace the wireless card: it only does WEP, and is b only.

My problem, though, was with the Ethernet cards I tried. Finally thought of an old program I used a few years ago named WinsockFix. It was written specifically to undo the damage some malware causes to communication elements of Windows. I found the latest version, downloaded and ran it, and voila! The Ethernet card fired right up.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='794354' date='21-Sep-2009 18:22']I'm going to have to replace the wireless card: it only does WEP, and is b only.

My problem, though, was with the Ethernet cards I tried. Finally thought of an old program I used a few years ago named WinsockFix. It was written specifically to undo the damage some malware causes to communication elements of Windows. I found the latest version, downloaded and ran it, and voila! The Ethernet card fired right up.[/quote]

Glad you found a solution. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='794354' date='21-Sep-2009 19:22']... thought of an old program I used a few years ago named WinsockFix...[/quote]
    I sure wish I had seen this two days ago. I won't go into the long hardware nightmare that I was involved in, but I ended up doing two different full restores from backup images because of a Windows error message, something about Winsock being corrupt. I'm gonna go and see if I can find the program now...

Added a couple of minutes later:
    PS I think this is it: Download WinSockFix 1.1.0.13

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='794532' date='23-Sep-2009 06:22']I sure wish I had seen this two days ago. I won't go into the long hardware nightmare that I was involved in, but I ended up doing two different full restores from backup images because of a Windows error message, something about Winsock being corrupt. I'm gonna go and see if I can find the program now...

Added a couple of minutes later:
    PS I think this is it: Download WinSockFix 1.1.0.13[/quote]

Yep, that's the program and the site I downloaded it from.