Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE8 and Frames

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    XP(H) SP3 + JAVA (tm) 6 Update 7

Question:

Does IE8 support frames? I ask because there is a site I visit where I cannot access beyond the home page if I try and enter using the (obviously main) entry point which uses a frames option. If I navigate to the bottom of the first webpage I can find, in the small print, an explanation that if my browser (IE8) doesn't support frames I should enter the site using the no frames option. I would have thought IE8 supported frames? The site in question is here. It's no big deal, just annoying that I have to navigate the site from the options right at the bottom of each webpage.

I should say that I know very little about frames and this site is the only one I've ever encountered that needs me to enter using a specific 'no frames' entrypoint.

Thanks,
    Keith

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    First of all your link does not work, but I think this is the site you are trying to link to http://www.lascarisassoc.britanianet.co.uk/

I have the same problem running Windows 7 RTM and IE8.

Edit:
    After going back using HansV"s link it works for me, I think I just did not wait long enough for the page to fully load.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The link you provided doesn't work at all for me in IE8. If I add www. it does: http://www.lascarisassoc.britanianet.co.uk/. If I then select the option Enter (Frames) I get to the Home Frame without problems.

[attachment=85614:x.jpg]

So the problem is not with IE8. Perhaps your security settings are too tight? Does it make a difference if you add the site to your trusted sites (Tools | Internet Options..., Security tab, click Trusted Sites, click Sites)?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (74.4 KB, 4 views)

Thanks
    Two observations:

1- Accessing the site with IE8 works with frames but is slow to load due to the audio download. How fast is your Internet connection?

2- The site works in Firefox but I don't get the audio portion.
    Regards,
    PaulB

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='794154' date='20-Sep-2009 18:21']The link you provided doesn't work at all for me in IE8. If I add www. it does: http://www.lascarisassoc.britanianet.co.uk/. If I then select the option Enter (Frames) I get to the Home Frame without problems.

[attachment=85614:x.jpg]

So the problem is not with IE8. Perhaps your security settings are too tight? Does it make a difference if you add the site to your trusted sites (Tools | Internet Options..., Security tab, click Trusted Sites, click Sites)?[/quote]

Hans,
    My fault re posting the link, forgot to add www. I can get to the home page you've posted and I can get there using the 'frames' option. However, once there if I select other options from the left hand pane nothing happens = except that when I select the memorial option the home page remains displayed but I get the memorial music over the top of the music being played on the home page!! I'll try adding the site to my trusted sites and see if that makes any difference.
    All very confusing! I'll post back.

Thanks,
    Keith

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='794153' date='20-Sep-2009 18:08']First of all your link does not work, but I think this is the site you are trying to link to http://www.lascarisassoc.britanianet.co.uk/

I have the same problem running Windows 7 RTM and IE8.

Edit:
    After going back using HansV"s link it works for me, I think I just did not wait long enough for the page to fully load.[/quote]

Thanks for input Dave and my apologies for forgetting the www. I'm going to try Hans' suggestion re trusted sites and see if that makes a difference.
    Cheers,
    Keith

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='794159' date='20-Sep-2009 19:48']Two observations:

1- Accessing the site with IE8 works with frames but is slow to load due to the audio download. How fast is your Internet connection?

2- The site works in Firefox but I don't get the audio portion.[/quote]

Paul,
    My broadband connection is listed as 2G but in reality the download speed is more in the region of 1.4G !! As I've just posted to Hans, I can get to the home page using the frames entry. The problem is that I don't seem to be able to get any further and accessing the memorial option from the left hand pane just produces the memorial music over the top of what's playing on the home page! I'll try Hans' suggestion re trusted sites and see if that makes a difference.
    Thanks,
    Keith

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    None of those links work for me either, although I end up with a tremendous cacaphony of simultaneous melodies. And adding the address to my trusted sites list doesn't work either.

The links don't work in Firefox 3.5 either, so I think the problem is with the website, not with the browser.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    2G download speed? That's pretty fast!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='794173' date='20-Sep-2009 23:37']2G download speed? That's pretty fast! [/quote]

So you spotted my deliberate typo!! Sorry, obviously meant 2Mbps (but in reality more like 1.4)
    Keith

Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='794171' date='20-Sep-2009 18:24'][/quote]
    I agree with Hans. The problem is not at your end. I can't get that site to navigate beyond the first page using both Firefox and IE. You might want to contact the site's webmaster to report the problem.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Those Java-powered hover buttons are a waste of CPU cycles! But I digress. The links at the bottom of the main page work; the hover buttons appear to be mis-coded in some way.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='794151' date='20-Sep-2009 17:55']XP(H) SP3 + JAVA (tm) 6 Update 7

Question:

Does IE8 support frames? I ask because there is a site I visit where I cannot access beyond the home page if I try and enter using the (obviously main) entry point which uses a frames option. If I navigate to the bottom of the first webpage I can find, in the small print, an explanation that if my browser (IE8) doesn't support frames I should enter the site using the no frames option. I would have thought IE8 supported frames? The site in question is here. It's no big deal, just annoying that I have to navigate the site from the options right at the bottom of each webpage.

I should say that I know very little about frames and this site is the only one I've ever encountered that needs me to enter using a specific 'no frames' entrypoint.

Thanks,
    Keith[/quote]

Thanks everyone for your inputs. Concensus is that it's a website problem, not IE/Firefox. I'll try e-mailing the webmaster - if I get a response I'll post here.

Cheers,
    Keith

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='794151' date='20-Sep-2009 17:55']XP(H) SP3 + JAVA (tm) 6 Update 7

Question:

Thanks,
    Keith[/quote]

Thought I'd let you all see response I received from the webmaster! As I'm already on Java 6.15 I think I'll stick with what I've got! At least we've identified the problem - My thanks to you all.
    Regards,
    Keith

------------------
    From Webmaster: Hi Keith,
    The problem goes back to my using Microsoft FrontPage to set up the website.
    That was OK up to a couple of years ago when all of sudden the buttons stopped working.
    It turned out to be the latest release of Java (Run Time Environment (RTE)) After a certain release the buttons stop working.
    I guess FrontPage did something non-standard. Iím now using Microsoft Expression Web (FrontPage not supported anymore) and am somewhat chicken to try revamping the whole web site with new software in an effort to get the frames working again.
    So if you really want to get the buttons working uninstall your current (Sun) Java and install Java version 6 update 5 from http://java.sun.com/products/archive and freeze it which is what Iíve done.
    However, my recommendation would be to go in on the non fames button and use the navigation links at the bottom of the page, not as flash as the buttons but you can still navigate the site fully.
    Sorry for any inconvenience and there is certainly nothing wrong with your IE8 or Firefox.
    Iíve had no comments but then I doubt whether many members update their Java or have even gone to IE8 yet or use Firefox!
    ----------------

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting back - so it was the website after all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast