3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there!

I am implementing security for a client having split the DB into Front and BackEnd, but am getting a "Name conflicts with existing module, project or object library" error when importing some, but not all reports into what will be the secured Front end from the original DB.

I'm also getting for some other reports "The search key was not found in any record".

The upshot is the reports in question won't import.

Can anyone guide me here as to what the issues are and how I go about resolving?

I have a bad feeling about this!

Cheers

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Niven' post='794482' date='23-Sep-2009 11:17']I'm also getting for some other reports "The search key was not found in any record".[/quote]

This usually indicates a corrupt record in a table, that may be without a value for the key field.
    Open the backend directly, and try a Compact and Repair, and/or look for the corrupt record and see if it will let you delete it.

Does Compact and Repair help with the problem importing reports?
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    John,

Sorry to come back so late on this one, I've been tied up with some other Access stuff.

In answer to your question, no Compact and Repair doesn't fix the problem with the reports. The reports obviously work fine in the original DB, but I can only think there is something within them that is stopping them from being imported. The one thing that comes to mind is a function that is embeded in the detail section of the report. Is this the sort of thing that would stop the import from working?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Niven

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also try to decompile the original database:
    Select Start | Run...
    Enter

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSACCESS.EXE" /Decompile "C:\Test\MyDatabase.mdb"

substituting the path and filename of your database.
    Press Enter.
    The database will open.
    Perform a Compact and Repair, then close it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A long time ago in a land far away (at least 10 years and 40 miles), I encountered a similar problem with a corrupt form. We discovered that while we could not import the objects into a new database, we could export most of the objects from the old database to the new one - which saved us from rebuilding over 100 forms and 200 reports. I think we were still on 97 at that point, but it's something worth trying.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WendellB' post='795757' date='01-Oct-2009 00:01']A long time ago in a land far away (at least 10 years and 40 miles), I encountered a similar problem with a corrupt form. We discovered that while we could not import the objects into a new database, we could export most of the objects from the old database to the new one - which saved us from rebuilding over 100 forms and 200 reports. I think we were still on 97 at that point, but it's something worth trying.[/quote]

Wendell,

Very interesting..... I converted this DB sometime back from 97 to 2003. I was about to post that I get the same error message for the offending reports if I try and make copies of them within the original DB.

I'll try exporting and see if that cures the problem. Watch this space as they say!

Cheers,

Niven

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendell,

Exporting doesn't work either. It's not looking very promising on avoiding the rebuilding.

Niven

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like the database is corrupt beyond recovery.

If you wish, you could create a copy of the database, delete everything except the reports from it, compact it, then zip it and attach the zip file to a reply. Loungers could have a go at this copy - success is unlikely but who knows...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Niven' post='795759' date='30-Sep-2009 17:10']Exporting doesn't work either. It's not looking very promising on avoiding the rebuilding.[/quote]
    One last possibility - in VBA you can save an object as text by using the SaveAsText command, and you can then import it into a new DB using the LoadFromText commands. And you can do that in the Immediate window in VBA. And I would try the SaveAsText first with a copy of your original database, and then try loading the text file into an empty database. If the report(s) are totally corrupted this approach probably won't work either, but if some of the reports are OK, you may get most of what you are after. Good Luck!
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Herewith cut down version of the DB.

The first five reports import ok into a new DB. All the Amounts owing reports come up with "Name conflicts with existing Module, Project or object Library"

Trust this has enough detail to be of use.

Cheers,

Niven
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    All the "Amounts owing ..." reports have an anomaly:
    - In the Event tab of the Properties window, the On Open and On Close events list [Event Procedure]
    - In the Other tab of the Properties window, the Has Module property is set to Yes.
    - But if you activate the Visual Basic Editor, none of the reports is listed in the Project Explorer.
    This is contradictory, and a sign of (relatively harmless) corruption.

To repair this, you must open each of the "Amounts owing ..." reports in design view.
    Clear the On Open and On Close events.
    Set the Has Module property to No.
    Close and save the report.

When you have done this for all reports, you should be able to import them into another database.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans,

You are a star!

I thought there was something a lot more sinister going on with these reports, but doing as you said has solved the problem.

There were about 40 of these in total.

Cheers,

Niven