Am English person wants to type in Czech (Word 2000)

I have a customer who is (American) English speaking, and uses an American English installation of Windows. She wants to keep her operating system in English, but wants the option to VERY OCCASIONALLY type to a friend in Czech. To do so, she needs to accent certain letters (a lengthening mark, like an apostrophe, but it is over certain consonants, not vowels necessarily), and the use of a "Hachek", which is an inverted caret, again over certain consonants, not vowels as is regularly available. Short of converting her entire system to Czech, is there a way she can use Word (2000) for typing in Czech? Her friend is a programmer, but wrote macros for WordPerfect to accomplish this feat. I would not know where to begin to "write macros" for this type of conversion.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Am English person wants to type in Czech (Word 2000)

As a start, the Office help file says:

Enable editing of multiple languages in Office programs

1. On the Windows Start menu, point to Programs, point to Office Tools, and then click Microsoft Office Language Settings.

2. On the Enabled Languages tab, select the check boxes next to the languages you want.

Unless the user has NT 4, you also need to review the help topic "Install system support for multiple languages" which adds features to Windows itself. Now, after these updates, if it isn't obvious how to use those languages, I assume someone else in the Lounge can give you her or his first-hand experience on how to do it, but hopefully this is a good start.

New Lounger

Re: Am English person wants to type in Czech (Word 2000)

In order to create the kind of characters your customer desires,it sounds like it will be necessary to have two characters type in the same place like the Spanish n with the tilde over the top. I am also assuming that switching back and forth between the English and Czech keyboards available in the Control Panel | Keyboard utility is not acceptable. Here is how I have performed the task in the past. Please pardon the fact that I do not know the specific Czech characters. I will endeavor to create a European Euro symbol as an example (yes, I do know it exists on the latest versions). The Euro symbol looks like an uppercase C with an equal sign running through the middle. Here goes.

1. Start by pressing CTRL+F9. This will place gray shaded braces {} with two spaces on your screen.
    2. Delete the two spaces between the braces.
    3. Type the following between the braces: eq O(C,=) (NOTE: There is a space between the q and the
    4. Right click on this code and then choose "Toggle Field Codes."
    5. Now you have a Euro symbol.

Once you have created this character for the first time it gets much easier by doing the following:

1. Select the character (Highlight it.)
    2. Copy it to the clipboard.
    3. Go to Tools | Autocorrect...
    4. Your special character appears on the right side in the box marked "With."
    5. Type a quick 2 or 3 letter unique code that will activate the symbol. For the Euro you could use "c=" without quotes or even an unlikely "xxx" which is any group of three characters that would never appear in any other writing.
    6. Click on the Add button and then on OK.

I am sending an attachment with the Euro symbol. When you open it, simply place your pointer on the Euro symbol, right click, and choose Toggle Field Codes.

Now every time you type the special code, the special 2-piece character appears.

Hope this is clear and helpful.

Joe Nowak
    Attached Files Attached Files