Thread: A Bad Router?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This "war story" is only placed here in case someone else has system problems that turn out to be (I think) the router. Day before yesterday I upgraded my cable internet to my ISP's double-speed service. Shortly thereafter, after an equipment shutdown and re-start, I had no internet connectivity. After some attempts to boot again and reset the cable modem and router, no joy. Called the ISP guy again and after a LONG time of messing around with no luck, I was ready to tell him to undo the upgrade. However, during one of the many re-boots, I got a message about a corrupt Winsock (don't remember the full file name now). I let the rep go because I figured Windows had a problem and I'd have to do a restore from backup.

After two full restores, from two different days, I still had "almost" no connectivity. Sometimes I would get on but only at a very reduced speed. Other boots and, even in safe mode, I would have zero connectivity. Very erratic indeed! What led me to the next paragraph is that I was UNABLE to get into the router's settings to see if something had gotten corrupted in there.

Yesterday, in frustration, I took the router OUT of the equation and connected this PC directly to the cable modem and my connectivity was restored, at a whopping 20+ meg download speed! My conclusion, however vague, is that the very old router is in the process of giving up the ghost, so I've ordered a new one. I wish routers gave "warning messages." . . . And finally, even after connecting directly, it took me awhile to discover that I had "hard coded" the Default Gateway address of the router in XP (even though the IP address and DHCP were set to automatic) and when I deleted that number, voila, I was connected.

Edited later: After two restores, the reason I concluded that it was NOT an XP Winsock problem is that I tried booting to Vista and had the same connectivity failures. Therefore I decided it was either my ISP or the router or a bad cable somewhere.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a followup. Given my fondness for Linksys, I replaced my router with one of these: Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint BEFSX41. It arrived yesterday and I Installed it today. As instructed, I shutdown my computers, cable modem and of course, the old router. Put the new router in place and connected two computers and my HP printer to it. Ran a cable from the cable modem to the router and powered everything on in the usual order: cable modem, after a minute the router and another minute a computer.

Immediate connectivity with no intervention on my part. Of course, I entered the router's menus via Firefox and 192.168.1.1 default address and changed the user password from their default. There was NOTHING else I had to change and this latest generation also has "automatic" handling of port 113 which has been a sore spot in the past. GRC reports me at full stealth AND my recently changed ISP feature for 20 Mb download is right on target for this time of day.

The only other thing is that the router didn't immediately "see" the printer because I had NOT powered it off. But after doing so and re-powering, the client table was updated and I successfully printed a test page.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bigaldoc, I have had that same problem before(router going bad). Whenever I have a simular problem, the first thing I do is bypass the router and go direct to the cable modem. If everything is fine, then router is suspect. Personally I use Dlink. Have had bad experiences with Linksys even though I use some Linksys network cards.I was on Roadrunner and now Comcast. Over a period of 6-8 years, I have had 2 or 3 modems go bad also. The current one is more than 2 yeas old.The router is probably 4-5 years old (not made anymore).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have any of you tried reloading the router (if compatible) with DDR-WRT - can breathe new life into older and newer modems if there is a file available for them?
    Rgds

Paul C

If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all!

If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

HaHaHa - 10 hours after registering and I just realised I had my corporate work head on while I registered as I did my work style Surname Firstname way of entering my name - doh!