Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 from XP Pro. A clean install is the only option but if I buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 how will it 'know' that I'm upgrading as I propose to install a new, larger, hard drive and keep the old XP drive to eventually use for backups. Does this mean that I will have to buy the Windows 7 version that installs on a new system?
    I'd be grateful for comments before I part with my hard earned cash!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='bertj' post='794580' date='23-Sep-2009 11:38']I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7 from XP Pro. A clean install is the only option but if I buy the upgrade version of Windows 7 how will it 'know' that I'm upgrading as I propose to install a new, larger, hard drive and keep the old XP drive to eventually use for backups. Does this mean that I will have to buy the Windows 7 version that installs on a new system?
    I'd be grateful for comments before I part with my hard earned cash![/quote]

See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Upgrading to Windows 7: Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 for a detailed explanation on the update process.

Joe
    Joe