Thanks
    Do any loungers have netbooks? What is your preference? Brand/Model spec-wise?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='794583' date='23-Sep-2009 18:06']Do any loungers have netbooks? What is your preference? Brand/Model spec-wise?[/quote]

I have an 8.9inch Acer Aspire one, but it's getting old (netbook years are like 4 times dog years!!). The current favourite appears to be a Samsung NC10.

My Acer has an SSD and runs Ubuntu Netbook edition and does everything I want of it (mostly webbrowsing with the occasional spreadsheet session) flawlessly.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='794583' date='23-Sep-2009 18:06']Do any loungers have netbooks? What is your preference? Brand/Model spec-wise?[/quote]
    My requirement is for an adequately-sized keyboard, adequate screen real-estate, non-microscopic characters, and a DVD drive. No netbook satisfies any of these criteria!

Lots of fairly sensible UK-based reviews from PCPro. And here's their A-list.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='794587' date='23-Sep-2009 12:01']I have an 8.9inch Acer Aspire one, but it's getting old (netbook years are like 4 times dog years!!). The current favourite appears to be a Samsung NC10.

My Acer has an SSD and runs Ubuntu Netbook edition and does everything I want of it (mostly webbrowsing with the occasional spreadsheet session) flawlessly.[/quote]
    What's an SSD? and what spreadsheet do you use?
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='794596' date='23-Sep-2009 14:03']What's an SSD? and what spreadsheet do you use?[/quote]

SSD = Solid State Drive. See Solid-state drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more details.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='794591' date='23-Sep-2009 12:38']My requirement is for an adequately-sized keyboard, adequate screen real-estate, non-microscopic characters, and a DVD drive. No netbook satisfies any of these criteria!

Lots of fairly sensible UK-based reviews from PCPro. And here's their A-list.[/quote]
    I love my Fujitsu Lifebook tablet. The problem is, I worry too much about it on the road - and I don't really need everything that's on it. I'm hoping for a cheaper "travel" 'puter.
    WebGenii Home Page

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='794596' date='23-Sep-2009 20:03']... and what spreadsheet do you use?[/quote]

Ubuntu comes with OpenOffice, so I use Calc. It's more or less MS Office compatible (at least as compatible as MS Office 2007 and 97 ) unless you need Visual Basic for Applications, or other proprietary technology.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='794601' date='23-Sep-2009 20:14']I love my Fujitsu Lifebook tablet. The problem is, I worry too much about it on the road - and I don't really need everything that's on it. I'm hoping for a cheaper "travel" 'puter.[/quote]
    Clearly you have smaller hands and much better eyes than I have! Many of those reviews should apply to North America, I would hope. I'd hang on for a month or so to get Windows 7 pre-installed, rather than XP Home. (If that's what happens...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...