3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this ? for me:

I have multiple sections in a report, each with their own numbered section. Word will often carry over the numbering from section to section (i.e., section one will end at number 7 and section two will start at number 8.) With I choose "Restart at 1" Word will make the entire list one contiguous list, resulting in say section 9 starting at number 54, etc. I have to ctrl+z to undo this. I'd rather Word was better able to discern new numbered lists within these different report sections. How can accomplish this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What kind of numbering is this? Outline numbering using Heading styles, or are you using styles such as List Number, or are you applying the numbering directly?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm, not sure what the original author used, as I am editing reports written by others. Myself, I am making the changes using the Numbering button in the Home>Paragraph settings.

edit---
    Actually, more accurate to say that I am right-clicking the existing number, and choosing Restart at 1. That's when Word makes one contiguous list out of all the different number lists.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right. Word 2002 and 2003 don't do that. I don't have Word 2007, so I can't tell whether it's a bug. Hopefully someone who does have Word 2007 can help.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's pretty irritating...more global changes when I want localized changes. I wonder if there's an Automatically Update option as with Heading Styles. I don't see one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='794603' date='23-Sep-2009 15:23']It's pretty irritating...more global changes when I want localized changes. I wonder if there's an Automatically Update option as with Heading Styles. I don't see one.[/quote]
    Just to follow up on Hans' reply: it shouldn't work this way in Word 2007 either - at least based on a quick test just done. If I apply numbering via Paragraph Tab > Numbering, subsequently using 'Restart at 1' works fine (without affecting any prior numbered lists).

Since you didn't create the document, it's hard to know what's going on, but one option might be to turn off numbering entirely throughout the document, and then reapply it yourself (only feasible if the document isn't too lengthy!).

Gary