3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully someone can take a shot at this for me. Currently, our company converts Word 2007 docs into PDF docs with the below steps. As I have posted about before here, sometimes there are corruptions in the PDF doc, such as part of the title being obscured, etc. As Hans and others have suggested, it's best to save the Word doc in Save As Type>PDF mode, instead of this procedure below:

2. Save.
    3. Click the Office icon, and click the Print option on the left task menu
    4. From the PrinterName: drop-down list, select Adobe PDF.
    5. Click the right-hand Properties tab
    6. Under the Adobe PDF Settings tab, choose the following settings:
    • Default Settings: High Quality Print
    • Adobe PDF Security: Reconfirm Security for each job
    • Adobe PDF Output Folder: Prompt for Adobe PDF filename
    • Adobe PDF Page Size: Letter
    7. Uncheck the third box, Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts. The fifth box should also be unchecked by default. Leave the other three boxes checked (they should be by default). .
    8. Click OK.
    9. At the Adobe PDF- Security screen, in the Change Permissions Password field, enter the relevant password. Make sure there is no check in the Enable copying of text, images, and other content box.
    10. Fix the properties in the PDFs before you declare them done. Click the Secure tabManage Secure Properties.
    11. Type the relevant password.
    12. Click FileProperties.
    13. In the title field, type the full report title.
    14. In the author field, replace the author name with our company name. (no comma; Acrobat uses that for field separators).

The PDF document will save to the location you specified and then open. You should be able to print it without Adobe prompting you for a password.

My question is this: It's crucial that I apply the identical settings choices (especially in steps 6, 7, 9, and 14) while following the Save As Type>PDF method in Word 2007, but I don't see any of the settings in steps 6,7,9, and 14 in the Options box.

Can anyone explain how I can apply these settings in the Save As Type>PDF mode?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='794592' date='23-Sep-2009 11:47']It's crucial that I apply the identical settings choices (especially in steps 6, 7, 9, and 14) while following the Save As Type>PDF method in Word 2007, but I don't see any of the settings in steps 6,7,9, and 14 in the Options box.

Can anyone explain how I can apply these settings in the Save As Type>PDF mode?[/quote]
    I assume the Save As PDF is using Microsoft's converter rather than Adobe's converter.

Microsoft's basic documentation (Save a file in PDF format @ Microsoft Office Online) does not mention passwords or permissions. I don't know whether these features are supported by the add-in.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Reviving this topic...yes, saving as a PDF using MS rather than Adobe. I opened Adobe and selected Create PDF but am not able to open any Word docs--- "Adobe could not open XXXX.docx because it is either not a supported file type or because the file been damaged..." etc. Is it not possible to create a PDF file from an Word document from with Adobe?

Basically, as I posted above, I want to save from .docx to .pdf format in the proper way, which Hans suggested is using the Save As>PDF instead of Print>Adobe PDF method. The problem being, I need to follow the setting steps I list above and only see these options available from the Print>Adobe PDF method.

Anyone?

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='796639' date='06-Oct-2009 11:00']Is it not possible to create a PDF file from an Word document from with Adobe?[/quote]
    As of this past Spring, you needed to re-save as a .doc (Word 97-2003 format) first in order to use Acrobat's Create PDF feature:

Adobe Forums: Docx to PDF (Mar. 16, 2009)
    You should know that at present, Create PDF doesn't support .docx files. However, you should try converting your .docx file to a .doc file, then using Create PDF.
    Adobe Forums: help with docx file (Apr. 24, 2009)
    Adding support for .docx is on our roadmap.
    Not sure what the timing is for that roadmap...

== Edit ==

The Acrobat.com Getting Started FAQ has similar advice about converting to .DOC first (for the online conversion), so it appears that Adobe has not yet rolled out support for the Office 2007 file formats:
    Q. How can I convert file formats not directly supported for PDF conversion by Acrobat.com?
    A. You can’t convert file formats such as Microsoft Office 2007 (DOCX, PPTX, XLSX) directly to PDF in Acrobat.com. To convert them, first save the files in Microsoft Office 2003 format and then convert them to PDF in Acrobat.com. For other file formats, you can use Adobe Acrobat from your desktop to convert files to PDF.