Thanks
    I tried last night to back up a virtual machine via True Image.

I installed the TI in the VM, but it couldn't see the USB external drive. So where/how would I back up a VM to avoid having to re-create it?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='794652' date='24-Sep-2009 00:18']I tried last night to back up a virtual machine via True Image.[/quote]
    I use Shadow Protect these days and I backup my VM from "outside" the VM, i.e. from my C: drive where Windows XP runs.

[attachment=85660:2009_09_24_002250.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='794653' date='23-Sep-2009 21:28']I use Shadow Protect these days and I backup my VM from "outside" the VM, i.e. from my C: drive where Windows XP runs.

[attachment=85660:2009_09_24_002250.png][/quote]

Al, it looks like you're setting up a separate partition for (each of?) your VMS. Is this more effective , do you think, than backing up the files?

And, what would you do if you ended up needing a larger V_drive than you originally set up?

That's why I had heard that you'd back it up from within the VM...if you needed to restore it to a larger virtual drive, you could (theoretically).

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='794677' date='24-Sep-2009 03:36'][/quote]
    I'm not sure I'm understanding your questions, Chuck, so here goes. I use Microsoft Virtual PC (6.0.210.0) to keep a VM of Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. I only use them for Lounge question purposes and hardly need either OS any more.

The VM software and all its peripheral files are installed on my C: drive, in Windows XP. When I created the "virtual hard drives" for each of the OSs, I put them on the G: drive which you see in the red box on my last graphic.

When I run a Shadow Protect image backup of either the C: or the G: "partitions" I'm covering all my bases, I think. Anything I do while in the VM for Win98 or W2K is contained in the virtual hard drive. You'll note that the G: partition is at 30 gig and the total space occupied by the two VMs is around 4 gig, so I've never had a space problem. If I did I could easily juggle the size of the G: partition on that physical disk, i.e. rob Peter to pay Paul. Here's what's on my G: partition:

[attachment=85666:2009_09_24_060823.png]

Edited to add: I forgot to say that each of the virtual hard drives created by MS Virtual PC is "dynamically expanding." So, within each of the OSs I have VMs for, the software will take care of the size. For example, the Win98SE VM reports that it's using 400+ meg of a 16+ gig "virtual hard drive."
    Attached Images Attached Images