Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a field code in Word (2007) that will automatically reflect text that someone types elsewhere in the same document?

I ask because one of my clients wants a pleading template that has the firm's logo on only the first page, but also wants the footer to be identical on every page -- without having to copy and paste from the first page footer into the main footer. In order to accomplish the first portion of the client's request, I used the "Different First Page" option. That worked fine to restrict the logo to the first page. However, it also meant that when one of the staff members types information (a short document title or identifier) into the footer on the first page, that change isn't reflected in the main footer.

In WordPerfect, there are a couple of features that allow users to type text in one place and have that text automatically be reflected elsewhere in the document. Does anything like that exist in Word?

I took a quick look at the IncludeText field a little while ago, but:

(1) it seems designed to pull in text from a different document; and
    (2) even if it can be modified somehow to pull text from the same document -- using a Bookmark, perhaps -- I couldn't quite figure out the syntax to get it to work.

Any suggestions / instructions would be appreciated. The solution doesn't have to be a field code, of course; there might be something else that I'm overlooking or with which I'm not familiar.

Thanks in advance.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can put a bookmark around the text in the first footer, and then use a REF field to put the bookmarked text in the other footer.

The problem with this is that the user typing text may accidentally overwrite the bookmark, so you may want to automate the process using a Macro.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Stuart.

The bookmark idea did occur to me, but I was trying to use it with the IncludeText field, which probably was what threw things off. I'll try it with the Ref field alone.

It also occurred to me that users might accidentally delete the bookmark code. I'm hesitant to use a macro, though, both because I'm not particularly VBA-literate and because the solution needs to be relatively simple and user-friendly (and, preferably, automatic). What sort of macro do you envision?

Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='794747' date='24-Sep-2009 19:19']What sort of macro do you envision?[/quote]
    If you always have a simple text footer then it would be easy to write a simple Macro that runs whenever you open the document, displays the text that is currently in the footer and allows you to change it. With simple <OK> <Cancel> buttons.

If you think this would be suitable then it would be easy to produce something for you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That does sound easy enough.

Let me see what the client has to say about the modified template (I warned her not to delete the gray brackets surrounding the bookmarked text or the Ref code; that might be sufficient for now). If she's concerned about the possibility of other users accidentally overwriting one or both of the codes, I might prevail upon you to guide me through the macro process. (I've created very simple macros, so I have some basic competence with them, but -- despite having taken a short class in VBA some years back -- I've never mastered more compex coding.)

Jan

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='794742' date='24-Sep-2009 10:37']I ask because one of my clients wants a pleading template that has the firm's logo on only the first page, but also wants the footer to be identical on every page -- without having to copy and paste from the first page footer into the main footer. In order to accomplish the first portion of the client's request, I used the "Different First Page" option. That worked fine to restrict the logo to the first page. However, it also meant that when one of the staff members types information (a short document title or identifier) into the footer on the first page, that change isn't reflected in the main footer.[/quote]
    I think it would be easier to try putting the image in the first page header and position it to print "in front of" the footer.

Oh wait, maybe you can't have a First Page Header without a First Page Footer...

Would it be possible to use an {IF} field to display/suppress the image?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='794742' date='24-Sep-2009 13:37']Is there a field code in Word (2007) that will automatically reflect text that someone types elsewhere in the same document?

I ask because one of my clients wants a pleading template that has the firm's logo on only the first page, but also wants the footer to be identical on every page -- without having to copy and paste from the first page footer into the main footer. In order to accomplish the first portion of the client's request, I used the "Different First Page" option. That worked fine to restrict the logo to the first page. However, it also meant that when one of the staff members types information (a short document title or identifier) into the footer on the first page, that change isn't reflected in the main footer.

In WordPerfect, there are a couple of features that allow users to type text in one place and have that text automatically be reflected elsewhere in the document. Does anything like that exist in Word?[/quote]
    Jan,

The feature in Word that's closest to what you describe is the STYLEREF field (which you may have already looked into). These do what you describe - except, it won't work in your current situation, because you need to refer to text in another footer - it looks like STYLEREF fields only 'see' content that's in the main document content.

A workaround that's sometimes available, is if the variable text in the footer reflects some text (like a title or a heading) that does exist in the document proper - if so, then you could put STYLEREF fields into both the first page and continuation page footers, and have them both refer to the styled heading or title in the document.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, guys,

Thanks for the additional ideas.

Jefferson, I did put the firm's logo in the header. However, as you speculate, it's not possible (at least, not in my experience, and other Loungers have made comments to the same effect) to designate that only the header or the footer will be different when you use the "Different First Page" option. (Wouldn't it be great if such a thing were possible? That's a feature enhancement I'd definitely like to see.)

It's working fine as is, so I don't want to start doing anything more complicated like using an IF code to display / suppress the logo.

Gary, the bookmark plus Ref field seems to do the trick (though I haven't heard back from the client yet, so I can't confirm that it's working to her satisfaction). As long as the staff is careful not to delete the bookmark or the Ref code, I think it's a pretty good solution.

I always prefer simple fixes, as long as they truly work for the client and don't cause any unintended negative effects.

We'll see.

Appreciate your thoughts. I always learn a lot from you-all, even when I don't implement a particular suggestion.

Jan

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Jan,

The approach hinted at by Jefferson (embedding the header in a field) might be the way to go. That way, you don't need a 'Different First Page' layout. To do this:
    . put double quotes at both ends of the header text (eg "header text"). The 'header text' range can include logos etc.
    . select the header text and double quotes press Ctrl- F9 to create a pair of field braces around them. You should see something
    like: { "header text"}
    . inside the left end of the fields, insert two more fields (via Ctrl- F9), thus: { { } { } "header text"}
    . fill in/around the fields, thus: {IF{PAGE}= 1 "header text"}, being careful with the spacing.
    . when you're done, select the field and press F9 to update it.

Your header should now appear on the first page only.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='794814' date='25-Sep-2009 06:00']The approach hinted at by Jefferson (embedding the header in a field) might be the way to go. That way, you don't need a 'Different First Page' layout.[/quote]
    This works well if you don't need other people to update the text in the document footer, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea here, as we have to provide a solution where other people will enter the footer text.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='794820' date='25-Sep-2009 17:49']This works well if you don't need other people to update the text in the document footer, but I'm not so sure it's a good idea here, as we have to provide a solution where other people will enter the footer text.[/quote]
    Hi Stuart,

Perhaps you didn't notice, the the field code I posted goes in the header. That leaves the footer free for editing without the need to worry about people messing up any fields or cross-references there.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='794830' date='25-Sep-2009 10:36']Hi Stuart,

Perhaps you didn't notice, the the field code I posted goes in the header. That leaves the footer free for editing without the need to worry about people messing up any fields or cross-references there.[/quote]
    Paul,

You are, of course, correct. This is a good solution.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Paul,

I'll create another version of the template and experiment with it. Depending on the results, I can send the alternate template to the client for her approval. (Maybe she'll like that one better.)

The advantage, of course, is that it would eliminate the potential problem of users accidentally deleting the bookmark code and/or the Ref code.

Thanks (to both you and Jefferson) for the idea. It's definitely not something that would have occurred to me.

Jan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, all.

Haven't been able to implement the solution suggested by Jefferson and Paul because the situation isn't as straightforward as they assumed (and I didn't think to mention). The template in question involves pleading paper, a specialized format for litigation documents that requires vertical lines on both sides and line numbers on the left. In addition, the logo is an image in the left margin that has been rotated 90 degrees. All of these graphics are part of the header, but they do not appear at the "head" of the document.

I have not figured out any way to isolate the image and put it within quotation marks. Therefore, I'm unable to test this method.

At this point, I don't think it is urgent. Although I still haven't heard back from the client, I imagine my original solution will work (as long as the users are careful not to delete anything).

If they run into trouble and/or ask for other options, I'll post back.

Thanks again for your help.

Jan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='795326' date='28-Sep-2009 17:49']Haven't been able to implement the solution suggested by Jefferson and Paul because the situation isn't as straightforward as they assumed (and I didn't think to mention). The template in question involves pleading paper, a specialized format for litigation documents that requires vertical lines on both sides and line numbers on the left. In addition, the logo is an image in the left margin that has been rotated 90 degrees. All of these graphics are part of the header, but they do not appear at the "head" of the document.[/quote]
    This is actually fairly easy to do.

First create the first page header the way you want it to look, then CUT the whole header to the paste buffer, this will also cut the graphics as they are anchored to a paragraph in the header.

Then Type Control-F9 to insert { }, put the cursor in between the braces and type Control-F9 again. Finally add field codes to make { IF { PAGE } = 1 "Test header" "" }
    Check that this works, then select the words "Test header" delete them and paste the entire header including the graphics in between the first pair of "".

Here is a working example for you.

[attachment=85724:Graphics...l_header.doc]
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast