Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I need to extract from a large (46K entries) General Address List about six hundred individual entries and save them as Contacts. (Next step, export the Contact folder to an Excel spreadsheet). I have tried linking Access to the GAL table and attempting to extract information that way, BUT Access views only information in the General tab, and I need to include the users' external phone numbers which only show in the Phones tab. Their phone information will export to Contacts, however, and from there to an Excel spreadsheet (where it shows up as a second home phone, but at least it's there).

Is there a macro, or a way to automate the process? My ideal would be to have Outlook export to Contacts the set of records where the users' network IDs match a list. Not sure whether Outlook can read a list from Access, Excel, or just possibly Word; perhaps someone knows.

Many thanks,

Ann

Thanks
    [quote name='axsc' post='794817' date='25-Sep-2009 00:29']I need to extract from a large (46K entries) General Address List about six hundred individual entries and save them as Contacts.[/quote]
    You can query the Global Address List as an LDAP address book; one method is to use the Active Directory Service Interface (ADSI). I've never had the pleasure of doing this myself, but there have been threads on it here in the Lounge before. For example:

[topic="517573"]Querying Active Directory (Servers: Exchange / Mail / Fax / IIS)[/topic]

These are some pages from Microsoft.com that might help if it turns out you need to cobble this together from scratch:

Using Active Directory Service Interfaces (Windows)
    Getting a List of Users In an Organization (code example)
    Getting the Value of a Specific Property On an Object (code example)
    HOW TO: Access MS Exchange Hidden Recipients Using ADSI (using ADO from VB)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks! I can see this one will take me a while, since I probably will have to cobble it from scratch.

Ann

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As it turned out, you can select the entire GAL -- select the first entry, go to the end and shift-click to select All, and add everything to your Contacts list. From which you can export the whole thing in a form of your choosing -- I went with CSV -- and import that file into Excel.

This is very time-consuming with a large GAL -- creating that large Contacts list ran overnight -- but it does work.

Ann