Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sometimes I notice I accidentally get a file named “Copy Of ….” For instance if I have a file named “Test.xls” I may see one called “Copy Of Test.xls” I know this happens when I am trying to copy this file to another drive yet the "Copy Of" file appears in the original folder. I don't know what I did to create it. I am wondering how can I purposely create that “Copy Of Test.xls” file?

Thanks
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This could happen if you drag the file with Ctrl held down, and accidentally release the mouse button while the mouse pointer is still in the same folder.
    Or if you select a file, press Ctrl+C then Ctrl+V, but that seems less likely to happen by accident.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='hlewton' post='794861' date='25-Sep-2009 09:13']Sometimes I notice I accidentally get a file named "Copy Of …." For instance if I have a file named "Test.xls" I may see one called "Copy Of Test.xls" I know this happens when I am trying to copy this file to another drive yet the "Copy Of" file appears in the original folder. I don't know what I did to create it. I am wondering how can I purposely create that "Copy Of Test.xls" file?[/quote]
    You can intentionally get such a file, in Windows Explorer by dragging and dropping a file in the SAME folder using the right mouse button.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. I think I have accidentally done both of the above at one time or another. Now I can do it on purpose instead of renaming a file to protect the original if necessary.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Absolutely. I do it all the time for "insurance" (backup).

[attachment=85688:2009_09_25_102136.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    LOL wish I knew about this yesterday. I could have used it.
    H Lewton