Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm wondering if there is a resource particular to 2003, similar to this one for XP. In particular, I'm interested in custom help topics and "answer wizard" entries. The 2003 version seems to lack these features and the XP tools won't work without Office XP installed.

I'm getting a little more than confused when Custom Help: Few Changes for Office 2003 Editions - Office 2003 Resource Kit - Microsoft Office Online tells me that:

"The Custom Help development methodology for Microsoft® Office Editions 2003 has not changed significantly from that of Microsoft Office XP. This article highlights a few changes developers should be aware of, along with a specific tip about how to avoid a problem with the Answer Wizard Builder.
    Important The print version of the Office 2003 Editions Resource Kit incorrectly lists the Answer Wizard Builder as a component of the Office Resource Kit toolset. Because there were no changes made to the tool for Office 2003 Editions, it was not included in the current release of the toolkit.
    "

My problem is getting an Answer Wizard Builder to begin with. Has anybody sorted this please?

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='795031' date='26-Sep-2009 10:24']My problem is getting an Answer Wizard Builder to begin with. Has anybody sorted this please?[/quote]
    Ha, it lets you install but it won't run. Very annoying. And why isn't that error to be found in Google? They need to step up their game.

I wonder whether the Answer Wizard is just looking for a registry key before it runs, and whether you could pop that in and fool the program? This probably would take some sleuthing with RegMon (or its successor, if there is one).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='795035' date='26-Sep-2009 21:41']RegMon (or its successor, if there is one).[/quote]
    RegMon is no longer available; it has been replaced by Process Monitor.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='795035' date='27-Sep-2009 05:41']I wonder whether the Answer Wizard is just looking for a registry key before it runs, and whether you could pop that in and fool the program? This probably would take some sleuthing with RegMon (or its successor, if there is one).[/quote]

I've had a go with Regmon (log attached) but can't really correlate the results with the info on Custom Help: Few Changes for Office 2003 Editions - Office 2003 Resource Kit - Microsoft Office Online under the heading "Registry change". All very confusing to me!

Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I finally got something working, but what a PITA! I wouldn't recommend it but thought I'd best complete the thread with it.

I installed a copy of Office 2000 (yes, 2000!) with everything set to run from the CD. This allowed the Office XP tools to run, while 2003 alone didn't. (It's called progress I think.) I then had to run a "detect and repair" on the original 2003 install - despite electing to run all the 2000 stuff from CD it still managed to mess some things up. With all that done, I can now run the XP tools provided there's access to the 2000 files (on the install CD).

As I said, a saga best avoided where possible.

Alan

EDIT - And just for completeness, the only file that seems to be required from the 2000 install CD appears to be DATA1.MSI. I have this now on my HD and the Answer Wizard knows where it is, once I pointed it to it.