Thread: Comodo Versions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm curious if this has happened to other Comodo firewall users. About a week or so ago, Comodo's updater asked me if I wanted to update. I usually say yes when this happens. It updated me to 3.12.111745.560 at that time.

Last week, at the suggestion of my ISP support when I was having connectivity problems, I un-installed Comodo completely. When it turned out to be a dying router and I got THAT squared away, I went to the Comodo site to download that version above since the copy I have on hard drive is NOT that level.

Well, when I downloaded from the free screen, I got the same, older version that I have a copy of on my drive. I installed it. Just now, Comodo asked again if I wanted to update and it put in the 3.12.... version mentioned above. Have others experienced this "problem" where the manual download is not the same as what you get via semi-automatic update?

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='795124' date='27-Sep-2009 15:28'][/quote]
    I've had it happen with the new version of Kaspersky which I downloaded manually, and found users a month later saying that only then was it being offered as an update!

Probably Commodo wants early adopters/the more technical to try a new version first, and then everyone else may be safely updated!
    BATcher

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Al, I found that Comodo has asked me once a week for each of the past 2 weeks to update my Comodo firewall, but the update has already been installed. I checked the numbers. I suspect that they screwed something up with the updater.

Thanks
    Yes, this happens regularly with Comodo for me.

Sometimes they mess up a version and drop another small increment correction out there. Other times, they just screw up the version numbers.

I never use the auto update process for Comodo since I like to keep a source copy of whatever I install. So I always manually download and install the update.

The problem I have with Comodo in the manual install (and it may also exist in the auto update but be hidden), is that Comodo needs to reboot during the update process.

First the old version is uninstalled. Then the reboot occurs. After the reboot, the new version needs to be installed. But during this reboot, there is a time period when you DON'T HAVE a working firewall! So you have a small but definite security exposure until the new version is fully installed and initialized.

Therefore, I always unplug my router prior to doing any Comodo updates, so that nothing can enter my system until I have a firewall fully up and running.

I don't understand why Comodo cannot find a way to install on top of the existing firewall, so that there isn't a time period w/o firewall protection.

Alternatively, they could warn you to unplug your router or else temporarily load the default Windows firewall.

My other issue with Comodo is that after every upgrade, they lose all the permissions you had previously set. So then you have to reply to a huge number of prompts for your normal applications all over again. The premissions have nothing to do with the underlying code and should be maintained in a separate file that is not affected by an upgrade, thus sparing the need to approve every permission again.

Thanks
    [quote name='ibe98765' post='796330' date='04-Oct-2009 19:05']After the reboot, the new version needs to be installed. But during this reboot, there is a time period when you DON'T HAVE a working firewall! So you have a small but definite security exposure until the new version is fully installed and initialized.

Therefore, I always unplug my router prior to doing any Comodo updates, so that nothing can enter my system until I have a firewall fully up and running.

I don't understand why Comodo cannot find a way to install on top of the existing firewall, so that there isn't a time period w/o firewall protection.

Alternatively, they could warn you to unplug your router or else temporarily load the default Windows firewall.[/quote]
    I think the Windows XP SP2 security center is supposed to load the Windows firewall when there is no firewall running, and then shut it down again once the third party firewall reports for duty. However, I haven't researched the exact settings required to get that behavior.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    jscher2000 is correct, the Windows firewall will kick up front on start up and will stay in place until a GOOD third party firewall gets started and turns off the Windows firewall. As far as I know there is NOW way of bypassing the early start up of the Windows firewall.

Also in most cases, when the third party firewall is stopped, disabled and etc, the Windows firewall should kick in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='796532' date='05-Oct-2009 18:18']jscher2000 is correct, the Windows firewall will kick up front on start up and will stay in place until a GOOD third party firewall gets started and turns off the Windows firewall. As far as I know there is NOW way of bypassing the early start up of the Windows firewall.

Also in most cases, when the third party firewall is stopped, disabled and etc, the Windows firewall should kick in.[/quote]

Not sure about that. Can you pull up anything from Microsoft where it says that it will do this?

I took a look at the Windows Security settings. The attachment is what I see.

Perhaps windows will automatically turn on its firewall if I uncheck that checked box? Again, I would like more definitive info before I trust Windows to do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,093 Times in 959 Posts
    [quote name='ibe98765' post='796537' date='05-Oct-2009 21:02']Not sure about that. Can you pull up anything from Microsoft where it says that it will do this?

I took a look at the Windows Security settings. The attachment is what I see.

Perhaps windows will automatically turn on its firewall if I uncheck that checked box? Again, I would like more definitive info before I trust Windows to do this.[/quote]

I can't find the documentation right now. It is in MSDN or Technet. Your picture only concerns notifications from the Security Center not how Windows operates when a properly behaved third party firewall is invoked.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    What a delightful and timely thread. Under Windows XP we have ‘Windows Security Alerts’ with a ferocious red shield in the notification area, which will give you a pop-up to tell you gravely that your computer may be at risk. If you can’t find it there, check the Control Panel to at least prove that it exists. In Vista, it is called Security Center.

It may say, for example, that your anti-virus is out of date, and advise you to click the balloon to fix the problem. If it is the lack of a firewall it will offer the obvious advice to update Windows Firewall and run that. The part that delights all Windows-watchers™ is to see what advice it will give for anti-virus problems now that Microsoft has its very own MSE. Will it be the same old third-party stuff, or will it be the newfangled home-brew?

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='796543' date='05-Oct-2009 21:55']What a delightful and timely thread. Under Windows XP we have 'Windows Security Alerts' with a ferocious red shield in the notification area, which will give you a pop-up to tell you gravely that your computer may be at risk. If you can't find it there, check the Control Panel to at least prove that it exists. In Vista, it is called Security Center.

It may say, for example, that your anti-virus is out of date, and advise you to click the balloon to fix the problem. If it is the lack of a firewall it will offer the obvious advice to update Windows Firewall and run that. The part that delights all Windows-watchers™ is to see what advice it will give for anti-virus problems now that Microsoft has its very own MSE. Will it be the same old third-party stuff, or will it be the newfangled home-brew?[/quote]

And I don't get any of that because (I think), I have that checkbox tagged on in the attached graphic above, saying that I will monitor and manage everything.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ibe98765' post='796551' date='06-Oct-2009 03:48']And I don't get any of that because (I think), I have that checkbox tagged on in the attached graphic above, saying that I will monitor and manage everything.[/quote]

I think that would be exactly right, and it would explain the general bewilderment of people trying to remember where it came from or is documented. It has been around for donkey's years, and I may be the only user left who has it turned on.

The best part of it is the 'plurp' sound that goes with it as an audio alarm. With a bit of imagination you might be inclined to think to uncork the bottle of sherry that you keep beside you for troubleshooting sessions, and 'plurp' right back at it.