New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a die-hard fan of Eudora 5.2.1 and it has been my main email client since
    Noah landed his ark.
    One feature it has that no others have, when Shift and down-cursor after
    having selected an item in the TOC Preview pane, every email that gets highlighted
    displays in the lower email display pane. I can therefore highlight six or seven (or
    less or more) just using Shift Down-Cursor and when I'm satisfied that I don't want those
    highlighted items, "Delete" and voila!

Other email clients and even later versions of Eudora up to 7 do not allow this(Eudora 8
    does but since it's still in Beta, I can't risk it for my work).

I stay the heck away from any MS product if I can (no Outlook or is it Express or MS-Mail).

Thunderbird is annoying. If I put my cursor on any TOC item, it is immediately
    marked as read (from bold to regular) and in Eudora it was simple to move
    an email from the Inbox to a Folder either by clicking the Transfer Menu item or
    using the small tow truck (for an opened email). In TB if you don't just drag, one has
    to go through three (more?) steps to move an email to its folder. In Eudora it was so simple,
    Shift-drag for a copy-to and drag for a move-to.

Has any user here been using Eudora 8 (Beta) and found it bug-free.
    I want to take the plunge but
    a) It is Beta, after all, and, worse
    when I moved from Eudora to TB, I imported all accounts, settings, emails,
    address books, etc... into TB. The question is: If I install Eudora 8, can it import from
    Thunderbird? Unfortunately Eudora 8's Import does not tell me anything concrete:

I've rambled on and on. Enough for a first day in the Lounge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='3strokes' post='795222' date='27-Sep-2009 23:01'][/quote]
    While smiling broadly, I'd say that you're dedicated to Eudora alright! I don't recall too many posts here in The Lounge on Eudora, so I don't know if you'll get much in the way of commentary about the beta. But hang in there because I haven't searched to see how many posts there are in the past.

What's funny is how we all settle on our computer "products" over time. I started out with Eudora many years ago, somehow switched to Netscape and then Firefox, expanding into Thunderbird when it was split. Can't remember anything much about Eudora except that I did look at it again a couple years ago.

Good luck...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='3strokes' post='795222' date='28-Sep-2009 04:01']The question is: If I install Eudora 8, can it import from
    Thunderbird? Unfortunately Eudora 8's Import does not tell me anything concrete:[/quote]

Eudora 8 is heavily based on Thunderbird, so much so in fact that if you try to install Eudora without backing up and renaming your Thunderbird profile it probably wont work. On the other hand, it may just act as an upgrade to Thunderbird. Either way making a copy of your TB profile is a must before you give it a go.

Oh and have fun.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    [quote name='3strokes' post='795222' date='27-Sep-2009 20:01']Thunderbird is annoying. If I put my cursor on any TOC item, it is immediately
    marked as read (from bold to regular) and in Eudora it was simple to move
    an email from the Inbox to a Folder either by clicking the Transfer Menu item or
    using the small tow truck (for an opened email). In TB if you don't just drag, one has
    to go through three (more?) steps to move an email to its folder.[/quote]
    On the first point, I found this advice on email.about.com:

Prevent Mozilla Thunderbird from Marking Mail Read in the Preview Pane

To make Mozilla Thunderbird mark mail in the preview pane read only after a (considerable, if you desire) delay:
    • Select Tools | Options... from the menu in Mozilla Thunderbird.
    • Go to the Advanced category.
    • Make sure the General tab is selected.
    • Now make sure Wait ___ seconds before marking a message as read is checked.
    • Enter the desired delay (up to 999 seconds or 16 and a half minutes).
    • Close the preferences window.
    I haven't attempted to confirm that these steps reflect the current UI, rather than an older version.

On the second point, maybe there's an extension that eases the pain?