Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a very interesting review of Microsoft Security Essentials by Paul Thurrott.

Amendment: September 29 is the release date, but I can't get it yet, at 1:43 EST Sept. 29. There are other favourable reviews in addition to my link, and they appear to be from independent sources.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='795412' date='28-Sep-2009 22:19']Here is a very interesting review of Microsoft Security Essentials by Paul Thurrott.[/quote]
    I wonder which firewall would be the best companion for MSE? Perhaps that's another thread...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='795421' date='29-Sep-2009 02:42']I wonder which firewall would be the best companion for MSE? Perhaps that's another thread...[/quote]

My apology: it is EDT, not EST.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first non-beta security (partial) suite for Windows 7, and on that count alone it is of interest. While we are waiting for the dust to settle, those of us with Windows 7 might install it, and it might also explain Microsoft's timing in getting the thing out in a pared down version ahead of the crowd.

It is true that many of us have limited protection, since not all of us have computers in multiples of three. In my case the primary interest would probably be older computers that are in occasional but not regular use. This is definitely in my price range.

The various reviews seemed to have an assortment of contradictory claims, including one I can't find about privacy which is more than a little offset by the paragraphs of information about the gigantic feedback loop, and how Microsoft can get down to kernel level to see what is going on inside your computer.

It's too early to say, but in the short run at least it will be interesting to follow its progress. It has no competition for users of Windows 7.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='795431' date='29-Sep-2009 04:52'][/quote]
    Please pardon my (possibly) diminished reading skills, but am I to understand that the running of MSE assumes (requires?) that WINDOWS automatic updates be turned on?

I have to go back and read the article again...

If in fact it means that turning on the automatic updating of MSE is required, that would be obvious and OK with me. I do that now with AV, SpywareBlaster and a few other things. But I DO NOT want Windows auto-updating to be turned on. At least not yet...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Defender uses Microsoft Update to deliver signature (and other) updates; if you don't have automatic updates turned on, you can install the updates manually. I assume it'll be the same with Microsoft Security Essentials, but if Microsoft releases signature updates several times a day you will not have the most recent protection 24/24 if you update manually.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='795442' date='29-Sep-2009 07:21'][/quote]
    Yeah, it's like catch-22 isn't it? On something like an AV program which absolutely has to be updated automatically, one would not be wise to rely on manually downloading and installing signature (or program) updates.

I guess what I'll do when I get my Windows 7 in a few weeks, install MSE and let Windows automatic updating run to see if I ever get "stung" by one of the OS updates. Truth is, I've been doing OS updates manually for years on both XP and Vista and ( ) and have NEVER had a problem.

By the way, the MS press release on MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials, available for download tomorrow...) says this is the link for getting it: Microsoft Security Essentials Beta Home. But, as you can see the page still says Beta. I guess they're gonna release MSE on West Coast workday time, several hours from now.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft usually releases updates and new software at 9:00 AM Pacific Time. If that's true for MSE, you still have to wait another 4 hours...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='795444' date='29-Sep-2009 06:44']Yeah, it's like catch-22 isn't it? On something like an AV program which absolutely has to be updated automatically, one would not be wise to rely on manually downloading and installing signature (or program) updates.[/quote]

You could always set WU to notify you that an update is available instead of installing automatically.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='795421' date='29-Sep-2009 01:42']I wonder which firewall would be the best companion for MSE? Perhaps that's another thread...[/quote]

I don't think that makes any difference to MSE. Your firewall of choice. With Vista and Win7 I'm just running the Windows firewall.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='795431' date='29-Sep-2009 03:52']My apology: it is EDT, not EST.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the first non-beta security (partial) suite for Windows 7, and on that count alone it is of interest. While we are waiting for the dust to settle, those of us with Windows 7 might install it, and it might also explain Microsoft's timing in getting the thing out in a pared down version ahead of the crowd.

It is true that many of us have limited protection, since not all of us have computers in multiples of three. In my case the primary interest would probably be older computers that are in occasional but not regular use. This is definitely in my price range.

The various reviews seemed to have an assortment of contradictory claims, including one I can't find about privacy which is more than a little offset by the paragraphs of information about the gigantic feedback loop, and how Microsoft can get down to kernel level to see what is going on inside your computer.

It's too early to say, but in the short run at least it will be interesting to follow its progress. It has no competition for users of Windows 7.[/quote]

MSE is not intended to be a suite in the vein as Symantec, McAfee, etc. It is a superset of Windows Defender funtionality. It adds antivirus functionality to the antispyware functionality. It is not a pared down version.

MSE uses the same engine as the business oriented Forefront client and Hotmail. Hotmail scanning and the hundreds of millions of users that install Microsoft fixes each month form the gigantic feedback loop. What Hotmail does is not different than what Gmail or Yahoo or any other email hoster does these days. As far as Microsoft being able to "get down to the kernel level" that is the same as any other a/v vendor. Microsoft was forced to change how Vista & Win7 work to accomodate the various security vendors who complained vociferously about the architectural changes made in kernel access.

What is the whole point about privacy? Do you think Microsoft is any different than Google or Yahoo or Apple or any other vendor?

As far as competition goes on Win7, I'm sure that all the major seucrity vendors will have versions of their software available when Win7 is released. Probably ahead of the Win7 release so as not to repeat the Vista debacle where there were only a couple of security vendors ready when Vista was released to the public.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's available now at Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials.

[attachment=85746:2009_09_29_105216.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='795492' date='29-Sep-2009 10:35']MSE is not intended to be a suite in the vein as Symantec, McAfee, etc. It is a superset of Windows Defender funtionality. It adds antivirus functionality to the antispyware functionality. It is not a pared down version.

MSE uses the same engine as the business oriented Forefront client and Hotmail. Hotmail scanning and the hundreds of millions of users that install Microsoft fixes each month form the gigantic feedback loop. What Hotmail does is not different than what Gmail or Yahoo or any other email hoster does these days. As far as Microsoft being able to "get down to the kernel level" that is the same as any other a/v vendor. Microsoft was forced to change how Vista & Win7 work to accomodate the various security vendors who complained vociferously about the architectural changes made in kernel access.

What is the whole point about privacy? Do you think Microsoft is any different than Google or Yahoo or Apple or any other vendor?

As far as competition goes on Win7, I'm sure that all the major seucrity vendors will have versions of their software available when Win7 is released. Probably ahead of the Win7 release so as not to repeat the Vista debacle where there were only a couple of security vendors ready when Vista was released to the public.

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe

MSE is pared down relative to Windows Live OneCare 2.0, as explained in the initial link. What constitutes a suite is a matter of definition, I guess: I run both Norton 360 and Kaspersky Suite (obviously on different computers), so I tend to use suites.

I am personally running the Kaspersky beta for Win 7 (and will continue to do so); I pointed out that so far as I know this is the only non-beta for Win 7 (and Microsoft may be providing it as insurance against the very thing you describe as 'the Vista debacle').

I am well aware of the lack of privacy with computers and my remarks were in the context of hypocrisy, not of discovery.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='795530' date='29-Sep-2009 12:54']Hi Joe

MSE is pared down relative to Windows Live OneCare 2.0, as explained in the initial link. What constitutes a suite is a matter of definition, I guess: I run both Norton 360 and Kaspersky Suite (obviously on different computers), so I tend to use suites.

I am personally running the Kaspersky beta for Win 7 (and will continue to do so); I pointed out that so far as I know this is the only non-beta for Win 7 (and Microsoft may be providing it as insurance against the very thing you describe as 'the Vista debacle').

I am well aware of the lack of privacy with computers and my remarks were in the context of hypocrisy, not of discovery.[/quote]

If by non-beta you mean MSE, it is released for 32-bit XP, Vista, Win7 and 64-bit Vista, Win7.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    At the risk of dragging this thread out ad mauseum and since this Microsoft Security Essentials COULD become a big player in the computer security and safety arena, I'm gonna chance it. I hope that other Loungers who venture into this area will also chime in. We can always break off a new thread if we need to.

As many of you may remember, I have a multi-boot system with XP, Vista and Win7 (soon to be RTM). WinXP is still my "main squeeze" and I spend the majority of my computer time in there. I have been running Avast AV and Comodo firewall for quite some time without problems. However, as has been put forth here in The Lounge on a number of threads, I'm now taking pause at the need for a software firewall other than that provided by Windows. In all the years I've used a firewall, going back before Comodo even, I have NEVER had a firewall alert for some "unknown" program trying to call home. Every time Comodo "alerts" me, it's because I AM RUNNING something legit that uses the internet and I have to go through the hoops of repeatedly telling it OK, OK, OK or turning on its "installer" mode to quiet down the annoying popups.

For the sake of confidence, I don't plan on changing XP yet but here's what I just did in Vista and will also do when I get my RTM copy of Windows 7.

In Vista I have un-installed both Avast AND Comodo and replaced them with the Microsoft Security Essentials released today and the Vista built-in firewall. I'm planning to "truck on" with this arrangement and see what I learn and experience. One item of concern I have is on the alleged frequent updates of MSE. If I don't have Vista running much of the time, will I be inundated with MSE updates every time I boot Vista? Who knows... I do have Vista set to notify me of updates rather than automatic installs.

I encourage other Loungers to join in on the continuing discussion of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='795558' date='29-Sep-2009 15:18']At the risk of dragging this thread out ad mauseum and since this Microsoft Security Essentials COULD become a big player in the computer security and safety arena, I'm gonna chance it. I hope that other Loungers who venture into this area will also chime in. We can always break off a new thread if we need to.

As many of you may remember, I have a multi-boot system with XP, Vista and Win7 (soon to be RTM). WinXP is still my "main squeeze" and I spend the majority of my computer time in there. I have been running Avast AV and Comodo firewall for quite some time without problems. However, as has been put forth here in The Lounge on a number of threads, I'm now taking pause at the need for a software firewall other than that provided by Windows. In all the years I've used a firewall, going back before Comodo even, I have NEVER had a firewall alert for some "unknown" program trying to call home. Every time Comodo "alerts" me, it's because I AM RUNNING something legit that uses the internet and I have to go through the hoops of repeatedly telling it OK, OK, OK or turning on its "installer" mode to quiet down the annoying popups.

For the sake of confidence, I don't plan on changing XP yet but here's what I just did in Vista and will also do when I get my RTM copy of Windows 7.

In Vista I have un-installed both Avast AND Comodo and replaced them with the Microsoft Security Essentials released today and the Vista built-in firewall. I'm planning to "truck on" with this arrangement and see what I learn and experience. One item of concern I have is on the alleged frequent updates of MSE. If I don't have Vista running much of the time, will I be inundated with MSE updates every time I boot Vista? Who knows... I do have Vista set to notify me of updates rather than automatic installs.

I encourage other Loungers to join in on the continuing discussion of Microsoft Security Essentials.[/quote]

I've only used the Windows firewall on Vista machines since I first started using Vista. Same with Win7. Haven't had a problem yet. Even though I could I've not looked at the outbound side of the Windows firewall since shortly after installing Vista for the first time. I decided it was not worth my time to figure it all out and then set it up on all the Vista machines.

You should not be inundated with updates. The A/V signature updates are cumulative I believe.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast