New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know that I am missing something simple here. I cannot figure out how to get WHS Connector Updates on demand or how to determine if the connector is up to date with patches.

Along the same lines, I can run Windows Update on the Home Server itself, and I can check the Service Pack level in the System Properties, but there is no mention of Power Packs. What is the relationship between Power Packs and Service Packs?

How can I determine if everything is up to date?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='D2D' post='795491' date='29-Sep-2009 09:34']I know that I am missing something simple here. I cannot figure out how to get WHS Connector Updates on demand or how to determine if the connector is up to date with patches.

Along the same lines, I can run Windows Update on the Home Server itself, and I can check the Service Pack level in the System Properties, but there is no mention of Power Packs. What is the relationship between Power Packs and Service Packs?

How can I determine if everything is up to date?[/quote]

Connector updates are released with the power packs. If there were to be an out-of-band update to the connector software it would be downloaded as part of the WHS Windows Update process. If you have installed the Power Packs (1 & 2) you would have gotten Connector updates. With prior updates all you needed to do is install from the Software folder share on the WHS machine.

The current version of WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 SP2. Power Packs are similar to service packs but also akin to feature packs. So far each Power Pack has included both hotfix rollups and new features. You can see from Windows Service Pack Road Map SP3 for Windows Server 2003 is not planned. So, I doubt that there will be a Service Pack released for WHS.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='795500' date='29-Sep-2009 11:07']Connector updates are released with the power packs. If there were to be an out-of-band update to the connector software it would be downloaded as part of the WHS Windows Update process. If you have installed the Power Packs (1 & 2) you would have gotten Connector updates. With prior updates all you needed to do is install from the Software folder share on the WHS machine.

The current version of WHS is based on Windows Server 2003 SP2. Power Packs are similar to service packs but also akin to feature packs. So far each Power Pack has included both hotfix rollups and new features. You can see from Windows Service Pack Road Map SP3 for Windows Server 2003 is not planned. So, I doubt that there will be a Service Pack released for WHS.

Joe[/quote]

Thank you for the answer, but I am still a little confused. System Properties reports WHS service pack 2. Windows update says that I have everything. And, there is no indication of any power pack in the Add-Remove Programs applet in Control Panel.

How do I know that I am up to date?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    How do I know that I am up to date?
    If you keep your server itself up to date via Windows Update then it will look after the client machines for you. Usually the WHS connector software will detect when it needs a new version and will install it from the server. If you ever do get a message saying the connector server software is incompatible you can get the latest version from the server via a USB stick.

If you really want to be sure that you are up to date check things out at http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
    These are reputable people and not like the scamming scanners that tell you that you have all sorts of (imaginary) vulnerabilities and their cleaner for $$$ will clean them up for you. There is also a version that you can install on your PC http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ that pops up a warning if you miss a patch. This warns about most software on your PC, not just the Microsoft system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to find out which power pack you are on go to Settings|Resources and it will show you. Why it is not called "About" like every other MS product is beyond me.

Gary