Thread: Edit AutoText

liner
    I have added a number of shortcuts to my autotext and they do save a lot of work.

I notice that a couple of them have some problems--grammar misplaced, paragraph mark include which means formatting is carried over, and the like.

Is there a file somewhere, or a method that allows me to edit the autotext entries?

Or, do I have to print out the autotext, make the corrections, and resave it under its name?

Thanks
    [quote name='liner' post='795536' date='29-Sep-2009 11:36']Is there a file somewhere, or a method that allows me to edit the autotext entries?

Or, do I have to print out the autotext, make the corrections, and resave it under its name?[/quote]
    I think you do have to re-save them, but there's no need to print them out. Just open a clean document, insert an AutoText entry, edit it, select it, and re-save it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Standard AutoText entries are stored in your default Word template Normal.dot, you cannot edit them directly. To correct an AutoText entry: insert it into a document, correct it, then create a new AutoText entry with the same name from the text.

liner
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='795541' date='29-Sep-2009 13:51']I think you do have to re-save them, but there's no need to print them out. Just open a clean document, insert an AutoText entry, edit it, select it, and re-save it.[/quote]

Well, yes I really didn't mean "print" of course. That was just my fingers moving faster than my brain. I still think of creating those funny looking lines on the picture tube "printing". But that is one of the joys of being an OF. (I am so old that I learned typing so I could do my term papers on my portable Smith-Corona)

Thanks
    [quote name='liner' post='795544' date='29-Sep-2009 12:01'](I am so old that I learned typing so I could do my term papers on my portable Smith-Corona)[/quote]
    I may not be far behind you. I was really fast at swapping the correction cartridge in and out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I often use a macro to insert all the autotext entries from a template into a blank document so I can check the existing entries (and do search and replaces etc) and then manually recreate any that I needed to change. The code I use for this is
    Code:
    Sub InsertAllTemplateAutotexts()
    'Inserts all attached template autotext entries into the current file
      Dim sAuto As Variant
      For Each sAuto In ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate.AutoTextEntries
    	Selection.TypeText "===================================" & vbCr
    	Selection.TypeText sAuto.Name & vbCr
    	sAuto.Insert Where:=Selection.Range, RichText:=True
    	Selection.TypeText vbCr & vbCr
      Next sAuto
    End Sub
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia