New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd like to get any feedback people in this forum may have on migrating MS Office 2003 VBA code over to 2007.

The company I'm working for will be making the switch from MS Office 2003 to 2007 sometime in the next few months. I'll be in charge of the process of migrating all the MS Office 2003 VBA code over to 2007 -- mainly Excel and Access, but also some Word and Outlook.

Any tips, gotchas, feedback from those of you who have already gone through this would be appreciated. For example, I noticed that compiled Excel 2003 VBA code needs to be re-compiled in Excel 2007.

Also, does Microsoft have any articles or white papers on this?

Thanks.
    [pre]Stephan Ip
    www.CustomOfficeDev.com
    [/pre]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have experience with this myself, but I can mention one point to watch out for:

The Application.FileSearch object that could be used to search for files doesn't exist in Office 2007 VBA any more.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    For Excel I'd be wary of code that works with charts and shapes. But the code may very well work anyway.

As a side note: Does the migration also mean you're going to have changes in the network folder structures?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Stephan_services' post='795559' date='29-Sep-2009 16:41']I'd like to get any feedback people in this forum may have on migrating MS Office 2003 VBA code over to 2007.

The company I'm working for will be making the switch from MS Office 2003 to 2007 sometime in the next few months. I'll be in charge of the process of migrating all the MS Office 2003 VBA code over to 2007 -- mainly Excel and Access, but also some Word and Outlook.

Any tips, gotchas, feedback from those of you who have already gone through this would be appreciated. For example, I noticed that compiled Excel 2003 VBA code needs to be re-compiled in Excel 2007.

Also, does Microsoft have any articles or white papers on this?

Thanks.[/quote]
    Hi Stephan,

MSDN has lists of new members and constants for each application; here are links for Word and Excel - worth a peruse.
    I also recall reading lists somewhere of objects and properties that are deprecated or hidden in 2007 - might have been in VBA Help - will check when I get back to my home base on Monday.

Another thing to start considering is whether your current applications make use of custom toolbars - if so, you'll need to determine whether users will be content to access these via the Add-Ins tab (but with the limitation that you won't be able to do any further revisions to these within the 2007 apps) and if not, then Ribbon customizations will likely be needed.

Gary

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Gary Frieder' post='796247' date='04-Oct-2009 06:34']MSDN has lists of new members[/quote]
    I think that they got the description of "MergeDocuments" wrong; they pasted the text from "CompareDocuments" and forgot to change it!