Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just moved from my trusty old desktop to a shiny new laptop, with Windows XP and Office 2003 on both machines. As far as I can tell I have set all the options in Word the same on the new laptop as they were on the old desktop. Most things are behaving correctly, but I've just noticed a problem with the hyperlinks from the TOC.

When I click a hyperlink in the TOC, it takes me to the correct place in the document. Then if I click the Back button on the toolbar, it takes me back to where I came from. If I do the same thing again with other hyperlinks in the TOC, it always takes me back to the first hyperlink that I tried, rather than the most recent one. I never had this problem on the old desktop, and I can't find any reference to it in this forum. Anyone have any ideas?

Anne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The same problem is mentioned in Microsoft Word: going back after hyperlink, back arrow button, web toolbar, but without a clear solution.

Does the same happen if you press Alt+left arrow key after following a TOC hyperlink?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Hans - the link you supplied reports exactly the problem I am having.

Alt+Left arrow does exactly the same thing as the Back button, i.e. returns to the first link I clicked on.

I have now discovered that if I follow further links and then click the Back button, it might take me back to the correct page, but the entire heading on that page is selected as if it was a bookmark (which it isn't). I will keep experimenting with different settings, but for the moment I am completely baffled.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have no explanation or solution, but you might try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word,

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect it might be something else on the laptop that is interfering with Word. I will try the diagnostic steps later today and post back with any findings.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. I had naively assumed that when Office 2003 was installed on my new laptop (by our tech support), all the available updates would have been applied. Not so! I have just applied all the updates and the problem has gone away.

The moral of this story must be to always check for updates.