3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have recently purchased a new computer for our office and am using Windows XP, however, it looks different than my earlier version in that when I am in Explorer and want to perform a search, what pops up is a "Windows Search" window rather than the "Windows Companion" I am used to. There is a link at the bottom that will take me to the Windows Companion window but I have to do this every time I search. Is there a way to change it so Windows Companion will be my default search window?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Search is a separate application, it's not part of Windows XP.
    If you so wish, you should be able to uninstall it through the Add or Remove Programs control panel. Windows XP will then revert to Search Companion.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CharliesDaughter' post='795701' date='30-Sep-2009 12:30']I have recently purchased a new computer for our office and am using Windows XP, however, it looks different than my earlier version in that when I am in Explorer and want to perform a search, what pops up is a "Windows Search" window rather than the "Windows Companion" I am used to. There is a link at the bottom that will take me to the Windows Companion window but I have to do this every time I search. Is there a way to change it so Windows Companion will be my default search window?[/quote]

I recommend you use Windows Search and try to get used to it. Windows Search is faster, more reliable, and has less impact on your system than the Search Companion that was originally released with XP.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When attempting to delete it in Add/Remove Programs, I get a message listing a whole bunch of programs that it says depend on Windows Search and might not work properly if I uninstall it? Is it safe to proceed?