Thread: Numbered Chart

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to figure out how to create a chart, in Excel 2003 (or Word, or Powerpoint, or....), with the vertical and horizontal lines numbered. I would appreciate suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could create an XY scatter chart in Excel; the units on the horizontal and vertical axes will automatically be labeled.
    Could you provide a more precise, detailed description of what you want to accomplish, and perhaps a mockup picture?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure how I would submit an image, but I can say the vertical lines are numbered to represent the days of the month, and the horizontal lines are for recording varying levels of _________ (whatever) from day to day.
    Thank you for your help. I had no idea where to look in the manual.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='adysin' post='795763' date='01-Oct-2009 01:01']I am not sure how I would submit an image, but I can say the vertical lines are numbered to represent the days of the month, and the horizontal lines are for recording varying levels of _________ (whatever) from day to day.
    Thank you for your help. I had no idea where to look in the manual.[/quote]

Good morning

Are you thinking of a daily planner?

If so this attachment has a good one (not created by me) that can be customised with your dates and events quite easily. I can't credit the author because it has never had a name on it.

Editted 08:44: reason - I did not realise there was an authors link in the workbook, here it is http://www.excelified.com/
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you really mean a chart:

You need to start by creating a source table for the chart.
    The table could contain two columns: one with days of the month, the other with the values that you want to plot.
    Click anywhere in the source table, then click the Chart button on the toolbar (or its equivalent on the ribbon in Excel 2007).
    Select Line (or XY Scatter) from the gallery of available chart types.
    Select the subtype of your preference, then click Next.
    You can set several preferences in this step and the next one, but you can also do that later.
    In Step 3, you'll want to activate the Gridlines tab and tick the check boxes for primary gridlines.
    In the last step, you decide whether to create the chart in a new sheet of its own or on the sheet with the source table.
    Finally, click Finish.

Now double-click the horizontal axis and set its properties the way you want, then click OK. Do the same for the vertical axis.

See the attached sample workbook.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to your help I was able to create the chart. Now, the Y axis is the headache. I can number it successfully, but I wonder if Excel 2003 has a way that I can put a zero in as a value, with ascending and descending numbers from that zero. For example:
    Word and Excel 2003 do not allow me to do this manually (rather, I have been unable to figure it out).
    Many thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If your axis values run from -3 to +3 you could do the following:
    - Double-click the axis (or click once, then select Format | Selected Axis).
    - Activate the Number tab of the Format Axis dialog.
    - Select Custom in the Category list.
    - Enter 0;0 in the Type box.
    - Click OK.