3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever importing a PDF (containing an image in A4 size), the image quality is considerably worse than the original. How to preserve the original image quality when importing an image object?
    Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try to get hold of the original image.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='795781' date='01-Oct-2009 13:48']Try to get hold of the original image.[/quote]
    Hi HansV,
    What do you mean by "get hold of the original image?"
    Directly pasting the images into document definitively preserves the quality.
    However, motions and affidavits will contain a huge number of exhibits. Then, how could these documents (images) be included in a Word document?
    Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I have no idea what all those things are, so I can't help you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Currently I just print the main Word document and pdf files separately. Then, manually insert the pdfs into the intended positions.
    Can this be done with mailmerge instead so that I can save the said manual insertions?
    Armstrong

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    No, mail merge doesn't work that way.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Where did you get these PDF files from? PDF is not a usual format for graphic files, so depending on what they are somebody must have converted them to PDF. Can you get hold of the original files and insert those, instead of using the PDF files?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='795790' date='01-Oct-2009 15:09']Where did you get these PDF files from? PDF is not a usual format for graphic files, so depending on what they are somebody must have converted them to PDF. Can you get hold of the original files and insert those, instead of using the PDF files?[/quote]
    All exhibits are stored in PDF. These are scanned images of contracts, receipts, forensic reports, witness statements, ...etc. They are included in a legal brief for evidential support. In fact, it's the standard practice by DoJ and DoD.
    Armstrong

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='armsys' post='795772' date='01-Oct-2009 14:30']Whenever importing a PDF (containing an image in A4 size), the image quality is considerably worse than the original. How to preserve the original image quality when importing an image object?
    Armstrong[/quote]
    Hi Armstrong,

If, as I suspect you're doing, you're copying screen images of the PDF pages and pasting those into Word, then all you'll get is the screen resolution of what you copy & paste.

You can increase the resolution of the pasted image by radically increasing the PDF zoom factor before copying. Alternatively, if you've got access to Adobe Acrobat Professional, you can export a PDF as a Word document, in which the images will probably have a suitably high resolution.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='macropod' post='795805' date='01-Oct-2009 18:45']Hi Armstrong,

If, as I suspect you're doing, you're copying screen images of the PDF pages and pasting those into Word, then all you'll get is the screen resolution of what you copy & paste.

You can increase the resolution of the pasted image by radically increasing the PDF zoom factor before copying. Alternatively, if you've got access to Adobe Acrobat Professional, you can export a PDF as a Word document, in which the images will probably have a suitably high resolution.[/quote]
    Hi Paul,
    Thanks for offering the most perfect solution I've been searching for a long time in vain.
    Yes, saving as a DOC in Acrobat Professional produces the most satisfactory results:
    1. {IncludeText} now can read it and complains no more;
    2. Each page of the original PDF doc can be now be paginated, dated, commented,.... in any way I want;
    3. The image quality is now as good as the original PDF.
    4. No more tedious manual insertion of PDF pages into the main Word file (writ, brief, motion,...etc.)
    Paul, thanks again.

Armstrong