2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to transfer files from my old XP to a new Vista. I downloaded the Easy Install program for XP and installed it. Hooked up the two computers and started the program. At the point where the Easy Install checks my old computer to see how much disk space will be needed on the new machine for the files to be transferred, the program hangs up. It just runs and runs and runs and runs but nothing happens. The first time I check it with Task Manager, located the problem, stopped it, and the program began running, but that's as far as it ever got. Any ideas about how to get past this and continue on?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='wwob' post='795852' date='01-Oct-2009 10:22']I want to transfer files from my old XP to a new Vista. I downloaded the Easy Install program for XP and installed it. Hooked up the two computers and started the program. At the point where the Easy Install checks my old computer to see how much disk space will be needed on the new machine for the files to be transferred, the program hangs up. It just runs and runs and runs and runs but nothing happens. The first time I check it with Task Manager, located the problem, stopped it, and the program began running, but that's as far as it ever got. Any ideas about how to get past this and continue on?[/quote]

Make sure your XP system is up-to-date with Microsoft patches.

Have as little as possible running when you start the Easy Transfer pgorgram.

Disable your anti-virus while running the Easy Transfer program.

Check the log file at C:\Documents and Settings\<userprofilename>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\MigWiz

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='795896' date='01-Oct-2009 13:41']Make sure your XP system is up-to-date with Microsoft patches.

Have as little as possible running when you start the Easy Transfer pgorgram.

Disable your anti-virus while running the Easy Transfer program.

Check the log file at C:\Documents and Settings\<userprofilename>\Local Settings\Application
    Data\MigWiz

Joe[/quote]
    I checked the log file as you directed. I found the log MigWiz lgo file but I don't know what it's telling me. Should I copy it and send it to you?
    I spent the morning clearing off programs I didn't think I'd need on the new computer, including the ZoneAlarm Security I used. I ran task Manager to see if the Easy Install was locked up and nothing was using more than 2 CPU and the total was flipping between 2 and 7 CPU. But something was making Easy Install hang when I tried to shut it down.
    I think you're pointing me in the right direction.
    Now what?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='wwob' post='795950' date='01-Oct-2009 16:37']I checked the log file as you directed. I found the log MigWiz lgo file but I don't know what it's telling me. Should I copy it and send it to you?
    I spent the morning clearing off programs I didn't think I'd need on the new computer, including the ZoneAlarm Security I used. I ran task Manager to see if the Easy Install was locked up and nothing was using more than 2 CPU and the total was flipping between 2 and 7 CPU. But something was making Easy Install hang when I tried to shut it down.
    I think you're pointing me in the right direction.
    Now what?[/quote]

You can post the last few lines of the log here as an attachment.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='796023' date='02-Oct-2009 08:10']You can post the last few lines of the log here as an attachment.

Joe[/quote]
    There are 3 logs at the place you referred to. I get an error message that says I'm not permitted to upload this type of file. I saved it to my desktop and tried to attach it. It's short so here it is:2009-10-02 01:11:15, Error [0x08081e] MIG Failed to load manifest at C:\Program Files\Microsoft\MigWiz\dlmanifests\errorreportingf aults-dl.man: class UnBCL::XmlException: hResult = 0x0, Line = 2, Position = 134; Whitespace is not allowed at this location.
    . .
    void __thiscall UnBCL::XmlDocument::Load(class UnBCL::String *)

The other 2 logs, which this site won't recognize are:
    debug.log and setupact.log.
    If you need to see them, I need to know how to get them to you.